Epoxy gone bad

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sleepycp

Epoxy gone bad

Post by sleepycp »

I just opened my gallon of QCM epoxy, for the first time, which has been patiently waiting for more than a year for me to have time to build again, and I had a gallon of waxy semi cured, I guess, resin. Perhaps it got too hot in my garage. Luckily I had a resin kit from snowboardsupplies.com , which I got in November '06, I think, and it still seemed good. It's in the press now. We shall see.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

try very very slowly reheating the epoxy (not resin) in a water bath.

I had some of mine gel from sitting on a cold basement floor. As far as i know the heat encountered in a garage isn't really going to affect unmixed epoxy.

Call QCM and see what they think
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

it helps if you stir it up every now and then, most resins and hardeners will crystallize if you leave them too long
Doug
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

My resin gelled over after sitting in the garage but I heated it up as others suggested and all was fine. I made two pair of skis with it that have been going strong. Roy(QCM) suggests storing inside at room temperature so mine stays in the closet now.