Recycling

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sleepycp

Recycling

Post by sleepycp »

Anyone had any luck recycling unused waste material, i.e.: excess base material left after cutting out base, excess top sheet and sidewall material, un-epoxied scrap fiberglass and carbon cloth? I hate to just send all that stuff to the dump.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Hey sleepycp,

I feel the same way and have been giving quite a lot of thought to the waste material issue myself. I have been planning on contacting Crown Plastics to see if I can return my scrap Durasurf pieces to them. It seems like they should be recycling their own scraps and waste into new product, so why not throw my waste in the hopper with their's. I'd be happy to pay shipping as long as I know the scraps aren't ending up in a dump.

There sure is a lot of nasty waste involved in building skis... and snowboards, and wakeboards, and kiteboards. I plan to be talking with Crown in the near future. I'll post whatever info I manage to come up with, unless someone else asks them before I get around to it.

Thanks for starting the thread.

G-man
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nidecker builds a snowboard with a base build from scrap material. its called the random...looks really cool and the color scheme is always different.

G-man

Post by G-man »

Man, that's commitment. It must be pretty labor intensive to cut and assemble all those pieces. But, you know what... if I were shopping for a snowboard and saw that Nidecker was using scrap like this, it would sure get me leaning in their direction... not that I think it looks that great, but more because they're being conscientious about what they send to the dump.

G-man