Graphics how and what?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pidduh

Graphics how and what?

Post by pidduh »

Hi,

I am planning to make my own pair of ski´s. Now I think I can make most of the ski, the only thing that is not completely clear is the graphics.
I´ve read somewhere here that normal paper and inkjet printer doesn´t work because it causes delamination.
So what possibility´s do I have to make graphics?

Rice paper + inkjet? Are there any other ¨cheap¨ solutions to make a nice design?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

pretty cotton cloth from your basement.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Cotton fabric works for me.
Tons of patterns to choose from.
I make small graphics on the inkjet printer
so far so good

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

cotton through your inkjet... yeah it sounds weird.
and rice paper through your inkjet.
or like they said, just cotton fabric that has cool designs.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I haven't tried fabric, but I've had excellent results with rice paper. You can't even tell its there once its wetted out.
bobbyrobie

Post by bobbyrobie »

are you doing full length graphics with rice paper? or just small pieces
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

The "Sticks" text on the ski on the left is rice paper. (the other ski says "Piggy".... they're the piggy sticks)

The text is probably 14" long, one piece of rice paper. You could do a full length, you just have to be careful with the rice paper in your printer. I tape the rice paper to another piece of paper as a backing to give it more stiffness, because the rice paper is very thin and flimsy. It comes in a big roll though, so you can have a sheet as long as you want.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Here's a better closeup so you can see the clarity of the rice paper. can't even tell its there!

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

how and what printer do you configure to print and full length graphic?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Most printers you should be able to set a custom size, just do it 8.5" x whatever length you want.

But again, I haven't tried printing rice paper sections longer than 14-15 inches yet.
suntoucher

Post by suntoucher »

does any of you have experience with transparent bases? I was thinking of using ricepaper or cotton fabric but lay it directly on the base and then the edges on top of that so one doesn´t see the edgeankers (or what ever you call them). or would that compromise bonding of the edge to the base?
brandt

Post by brandt »

Check out Schöckls thread and pictures. He did something similar with a skimap of Monte Rosa.

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... acuum+pump
An adventure is the consequence of bad planing
nick

Post by nick »

what do all the professional companies use to put their graphics on the boards/skis? do they mostly do sublimation? i am a custom airbrush artist but i dont want to spend 10 hours to airbrush every single board i make. ive thought about just screen printing the back side of the top sheet. this would work ryte? but, however, you cant do as cool looking graphics with fades and shading etc. correct?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You can do fades and whatever you want digitally in programs like photoshop and then have a pro sublimate or screen transfer onto ptex, base or top sheet or nylon topsheet. Or do custom airbrush and scan or copy to make replicas. All of which takes money and its about spending as little as possible to get a desired result.
nick

Post by nick »

yeah i am an airbrush artist. but i dont know where to find a scanner that would scan that large of an area and then where i could find some one to subliminate the the surface for me.... fed ex doesnt do that stuff do they?