Stepping it up to the podium...

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

..hopefully. Working on these for a young racer:

186cm
102-66-94
TR=26.5m

4001 Base
Mystery Composite
"Titanal"
Poplar/Beech Core
"Titanal" Binding Retention Plate
Mystery Composite
Topsheet

I'm not going to give away my entire layup, as there was a lot of actual engineering involved in figuring this out.

Ignore the unicorn, it is some graphic designer's idea of an Easter egg (it will be under the Marker plate)
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Well I'd stick a fork in them, but it wouldn't go very far with the layer of 7075 aerospace aluminum...

Anyways, they are done and will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Last edited by krp8128 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

somehow i got duplicates during the crosspost, too lazy to fix it...
plywood

Post by plywood »

nice planks! what kind of wood did you use for sidewalls?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

plywood wrote:nice planks! what kind of wood did you use for sidewalls?
I've been using hard maple for the sidewalls on all my customer skis.

For my personal skis i have been using mostly cherry, as i have 3/4" square scraps lying around quite frequently. Everything gets treated with 3 or 4 coats of Watco Teak Oil, light coats until the last ones dries "gummy", indicating that the wood has absorbed as much oil as it can.

I left my personal pair out in the rain for a week or two last spring with no noticeable effects.
mattman

Post by mattman »

do you mind sharing some dimensions of your tips? what is the length of the tip? seems like most tip lengths are around 180mm, but that of course is for all-mountain skis. also, does your sidecut end right where your tip starts, or does the sidecut extend into the tip? I want to shorten the amount of tip on my sl skis without negatively affecting other ride characteristics too much. this would allow me to gain edge contact without changing my prebent 157cm edges.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Very professional looking. The real deal. I'm making a race ski as well for myself 177cm dim 112/66/96. Actually I'm making 2. One is solid maple and the other is solid ash. I'm curious if there will be much difference in how the skis handle with different cores. The core thickness is 11mm. If you don't mind me asking how thick are your cores?

I'd like to get a ski report on how your skis handle. Nice work!

btw- I just got the latest issue of SKI magazine w/ the latest ski line-up for 2010. Most of the mens skis run between $1000-$1500!! Ouch!
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

mattman,

Not sure of my exact tip measurements as I made some last minute changes right before i pressed, and I don;t have access to my mold at the moment. My sidecut usually extends about an inch past the point where the tip begins, so that when the ski is up on edge the sidecut becomes fully engaged.

skidesmond,

I wouldn't really expect a lot of difference between the two cores, but I would bet that the ash will be considerably lighter. I usually profile my cores at 12.7mm but dropped this one to about 12mm due to my composite layup.

I warned the customer that this would be a very stiff ski, but he stuck with the design because it was very similar to his existing Volkl Racetigers. Both the shop that ground these for me and the skier who spec'd them agree that they are the stiffest ski they have ever flexed. I personally don't think so, but I'm also 200lbs and 6' tall.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks for the info. I have a pair of Volk P50 188cm and they are the stiffest ski I've had in years. I'm about your size and really need to lean into them. If the "race skis" I'm making come out decent I'll retire the P50's.
skidesmond

Re: Stepping it up to the podium...

Post by skidesmond »

krp8128 wrote:..hopefully. Working on these for a young racer:
Any feedback on the skis yet? Interested in how they were on the race course.
skidesmond

Re: Stepping it up to the podium...

Post by skidesmond »

krp8128 wrote:..hopefully. Working on these for a young racer:

186cm
102-66-94
TR=26.5m

4001 Base
Mystery Composite
"Titanal"
Poplar/Beech Core
"Titanal" Binding Retention Plate
Mystery Composite
Topsheet

I'm not going to give away my entire layup, as there was a lot of actual engineering involved in figuring this out.

Ignore the unicorn, it is some graphic designer's idea of an Easter egg (it will be under the Marker plate)
What kind of feedback did you get from the guy who raced on them?