what tools do i need to start?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nick

what tools do i need to start?

Post by nick »

hey guys, I am looking on craigslist for tools to start beginning to build boards and my press. What tools will i need? I am thinking: drill press, band saw, small router, TONS of little clamps (how many?).... what else do i need? do i need a sander or anything? im trying to buy them now and set my budget. thanks
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you don't NEED a drill press or a bandsaw. Read peoples posts on first time builds.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Minimum...

A hand saw preferably a japanese pull type.

A hand drill

A router

A vaccum pump, old refrigerator motor will do fine. Vaccum press is so much easier for starting out then a pnumatic one

Colthes pegs,Sandpaper, sticky tape and plastic sheating, sharp knife

a few bits of lumber and patience - this is esencially what davide used to use for skibuilding class! - Any shape, lenght or flex!

A jigsaw is quicker and easier than a hand saw but not as accuate.

A hand plane can be useful in many parts of construction

Spring clamps, G clamps,C clamps and sliding bar clamps all have their uses

Circular saw or table saw is good for splitting lumber to make cores, but for the first few I'd use a plank (1'X6")

A thickness planer will profile cores much quicker than a router and be helpfull making cores

A belt sander and be usefull in many ways, beware it can also wreck things quickly
nick

Post by nick »

where is the "first time builds" section. i just got on here yesterday.
Three31

Post by Three31 »

there is a how to section

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/

I suggest reading it start to finish. See the index on the left hand side of the page above. The first section you will come to after the how to intro page is required tools.

Don't forget to read the section on safety!!!

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/safety.shtml
Brian