Compensation for tip & tail lengh

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nick

Compensation for tip & tail lengh

Post by nick »

I am ordering my MEI heat blanket tomorrow. I am thinking about 2 72"x15" blankets so that i could build a 172cm board but i just have one question. Say a 172 board would be 172 after pressed to shape right? so how many cm (ish) do you need to comensate for the curvature of the tip and tail as well as a slight concave/rocker board? It can't be that much, but I was just curious if a 72" blanket would be enough. I'm pretty sure thats the longest boards that are available.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Your blanket has to be slightly longer than your cores unfolded, when you cut all your materials you might be able to have this dimension pretty easily.
I believe most of the time the dimension of a board is the dimension unfolded.. not sure though.
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Three31

Post by Three31 »

If you are making a 172 cm long board, that means your base length, as in when you cut out and before it goes into the press, will be 172 cm. The only thing that is going to be separating this base layer from the heat blanket will be the aluminum on your mold and maybe a cassette if you are using one. This thickness will have very little effect on the mold radius, and therefore you will probably notice no change.

When I got a heat blanket, we made sure to get it long enough for the longest skis that we press (198 cm). We have had no problem with it being too long - like an air bag, you can let it just hang over the edge. It does waste some energy, but it works.

If you are a couple of cm's short though... the heat should transfer through to the end without a problem.
Brian
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Couldn't have say it better... don't know why I talked about core length... might have been messy in my head yesterday...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...