evan's board

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

evan's board

Post by rockaukum »

Just finished a project with my son and is friend. Evan wanted to build a board that he could use in the park. We followed the same format as the last boards with a rocker in tip and tail.
The board came out pretty flat overall with a slight rise in the tip and tail. Problems encountered were the base came out slightly base high (convex ?).
Also I'm having a problem getting all the air out from under the top sheet. As you may be able to see in the pic near the center of the board. Any suggestions would be great. What I do currently is to apply more epoxy after the graphics and place the top sheet. Then we try to squeeze out the air. Time takes it toll and we package it for pressing. I was uncertain about their graphic idea. After it was done, I think the graphic looks good. All that cloth to soak up the epoxy adds weight as does the top sheet material...
It has been a while since I have build anything in the summer time. The epoxy is nice to work with when the weather is warm. It was about 90* durring the lay-up.
ra
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

really nice board ! I love the graphics !

Wish I had all I need to build this summer... still waiting for the edges and topsheets... oh and also someone who knows how to use his CNC because I had no luck this time for my CNC templates and mold parts.. all ended up in the garbage !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
plywood

Post by plywood »

regarding the air under the topsheet:
instead of laying up the board as usual i switched the process a little. i layup the base, the fiberglass under the core and the core as usual. then i take the topsheet and put on the fibreglass like on the base material before. last step: put the topsheet with the fiberglass on it on top of the core - press - done. hope you get what i mean.
at least in my case this reduced the air bubbles trapped in between topsheet and fibreglas. the whole thing gets smoother if you lay it up from the backside of the topsheet and the air is more likely to escape "trough" the woodcore...
but as soon as you apply some paper grafics beneath the topsheet the whole thing gets really bitchy again as the air gets back in through those gaps between the paper.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
wintersboarder

Post by wintersboarder »

^^^ interesting method, I will try this next time forsure as my board came out with uneven topsheet.