raven skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

suntoucher

raven skis

Post by suntoucher »

hey everyone,

thanks to this great forum I´ve had my mind set on building my own skis since I discovered skibuilders. you guys have given me sooo many ideas and infos that after many happy sleepless nights I´m finally getting somewhere.

as I like burly skis and I had the chance to get some free steel I chose to make a press mongo style!
pics will follow soon

my bases and topsheet and VDS I got really cheap off pale, a skifactory here in austria that went bankrupt.
edges I got from metall deutsch here in austria.
glass and epoxy I bought from germany, and I got 13mm thick vertically laminated bamboo from a carpenter to a reasonable price.

so.. with all this stuff I want to make following ski:
lenght 190cm
running lenght 138cm flat (no camber)
tip rocker 33cm long ellyptical (hope you know what I mean)
tip hight 6.5 cm
tail "rocker" 19cm long also ellyptical
tail hight 4 cm
10cm of straight sidecut at the start of the rocker
tip 130mm, waist 112mm, tail 120mm
radius 34m

construction wise I had a couple of thought/worries were I´d be gratefull for some advice!
the skis supposed to be stiff. I´ll be using 308 g/m biax and two layers of UD 250g/m and a bamboo core!
core dimensions in mm
tip -2.5
start rocker-3.5
flat binding area-12
start tailrise- 4
tail-3

IS it a good idea to laminate one layer of UD - biax - and then the second UD so if the skis two soft I can put both layers on top of the biax and vice versa if its too stiff or will there be no noticable difference??
do those core dims make sense together with the glas to get a stiff ski?

as tip/tail spacers I want to use base material, two layers above eachother to achive the thickness. is it usefull too laminate VDS inbetween to enhance bonding?

Sidewalls will be bamboo. I also have 3mm thick bamboo that I could laminate together to corethickness so I would have a vertically laminated sidewall for better durability?! Is that worth the effort?

my VDS is 134mm wide so I could laminate a whole layer of VDS! for daming? if soo above or under the core? or would it make sense as a shear layer beween the base and everything else? OR does it just add weight?

not quite relevant yet but still. for future skis I´d like to use inserts so I can use sollys and a duke on the same ski! will that weaken the core too much?

As already said I´ll try an get some pics of my press soon and I´d be really greatfull to anybody who cares to anser an of my questions ;)

greetings from vienna, saul