Vacuum help

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richardkar

Vacuum help

Post by Richardkar »

Hi
Ive decided to try making my own skis a month ago or so, and im almost finished with my first mold. Found an old vacuum pump too and decided to gice it a try.
I got some problems though. I can't find any vacuum bag suppliers, since i am from sweden. This joewoodworker site seems good but its pretty far amay;)
And since my english isn't that good I don't understand everything with all bags and stuff, so if someone could explain what materials I should be looking for, (all layers) and why I should have them I would be greatful:D

reservation for spelling and bad language:D (but dont judge me! I love skiing:D:D:D)

Thanks
OAC

Post by OAC »

Hi,

Check out ABIC in Norrköping and Kompositfabriken (på) Gotland. Or check my blog. I'm testing a new approach with smaller bags. Used for distribute hot air for drying at construction sites.
I will publish pictures later today.

Cheers
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I can't help you with a local supplier, I get all of my stuff here...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/ ... _film.html

For doing skis you need bagging material, sealant tape, and breather cloth. If you want to make parts inside a mold you also need peel ply, and a perforated release sheet between the breather and peel ply. Might not be a bad idea to use a release sheet for doing skis too, makes it much easier to pull the breather stuff off once its soaked in excess resin.
Richardkar

Post by Richardkar »

okey i´ll check it out!
thanks so far:D
Greg

Post by Greg »

I make my bags with building plastic (from Beijer Bygg) and seal with clear packaging tape. It isn't optimal, but it works well enough to get decent pressure if you are careful. Kompositabriken is pretty good as well for epoxy, I have been really happy with them and they have great prices on fiberglass if you get a leftover roll... I went through 26 kg on my boat this year, and I am still trying to use up the roll of tri-axial glass I got from them (40 meters by 1.5 meters wide, 600g/m2 for 800:-).

lycka till!
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
Richardkar

Post by Richardkar »

thanks gotta check that bag from beijer sounds good:) What type of epoxy is good for vacuuming? I've got a west system dealer pretty close to my home, so which type?

thanks
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Richardkar wrote:thanks gotta check that bag from beijer sounds good:) What type of epoxy is good for vacuuming? I've got a west system dealer pretty close to my home, so which type?

thanks
West System works fine. use the slow (206?) hardener to give yourself plenty of time to get it all bagged up.
Richardkar

Post by Richardkar »

okey, but shouldn't I have a resin with low viscosity? So that everything gets squeezed properly?
sammer

Post by sammer »

West epoxy has worked fine for me (now starting my 6th pair)
The only problem I've had is the pump for the hardener (206,slow) seems to fail.
I've used the same pump in the resin since I started but I've gone thru 3 pumps for hardener.
I use an old electric blanket to get the heat up after its all been in the bag for an hour or so.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)