Sickbird Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sam

Sickbird Skis

Post by sam »

I made my first pair of skis around two years ago and then took a long break due to a lack of motivation and someone to work this. This year I'm living in Tahoe with my friend and started making skis again. Here's our first two pairs. The dimensions are 129-139-119, 185 cm, 10 mm reverse camber. They have two layers of 20 oz. triaxial glass with 3-11-3 core profile and came out relatively stiff. Now all we need is for kt to open and a good 2 foot powder day!

http://picasaweb.google.com/snagcliffs/SkiBuilding#

Currently working on a pair to replace my 4 year old volkl karmas.
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

The skis look fun! My brother and I both have a pair of the 195cm praxis rev/rev skis. I was surprised at how much fun they are even with minimal new soft snow. 2-3 inches was even enough. Let us know how they ski.

Do you guys put the heat blanket on top to get reverse camber? Do you not have aluminum below the heat blanket? Are you using uhmw underneath the heat blanket?

If they are too stiff maybe make your cores 2-12-2 and use 1 layer of 20oz triax. We use 1 layer (top and bottom) of 22 oz triax with 2-12-2 and they seem about right.
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks. That's really cool that your on Praxis. One of the coaches from my ski team helped start that company.

We used a mold with reverse camber and used a heating blanket above the ski. We had mold then uhmw then ski then another uhmw sheet then the blanket and hose. I have a sheet of aluminum that I used below the ski on my first pair but bending it to the tip and tail molds was a pain so I figured I'd just do it this way. The uhmw above the ski ended up warping quite a bit from the heat so on our next pair we used masonite in between the ski and blanket and it worked really well.

Stiffness isn't a problem. Should be good for stomping some of the larger drops, but ya, for pure powder skiing 2 in the tips and tails would probably work better.