Videos from Donek

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

Videos from Donek

Post by Head Monkey »

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/s ... hp?t=27405

For those unaware, this guy knows his stuff. Worth a watch.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

For whatever reason there are two threads on Bomber about this, with different interesting replies. Here's the other: http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/s ... hp?t=27404
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
KevyWevy

Post by KevyWevy »

cool. looks like a pretty high end pricey board with all that carbon fiber and metal!
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

KevyWevy wrote:cool. looks like a pretty high end pricey board with all that carbon fiber and metal!
I'm pretty sure all of Donek's metal boards start at $1k.

As far as alpine snowboards go, Donek is right up there with Coiler and Prior setting the standard in North America for race boards. This is one of those few guys who if he gives you a glimpse into his process you go drink it all in as soon as possible. If I wasn’t making my own boards I’d probably ride a Donek…
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

That was quite interesting. Uni-directional fibers only? That was a little surprising. I was also a bit surprised that the inserts were mounted to the core dry, and with no added reinforcement. Not doubting, as Donek's quality speaks for itself, just a bit surprised.

I also find it interesting that he says the main failure issue has been the board bending after a hard wreck, which is counterintuitive due to the brittle nature of the metal.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I guess the metal accounts for the dampening and the torsional rigidity and the uni carbon is just there for longitudinal stiffness and pop?

Edit to say I now see the giant rubber sheet.