Big Boy's skis.

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

cromsos

Big Boy's skis.

Post by cromsos »

You can't choose your nickname can you? My ski buddies call me big boy... Thus my new skis ... the Big Boys. Original, eh?

I just added some photos to my webpage - finally! Thanks skibuilders for the great info found in these forums-archives (I should have put that at the top ). I haven't posted much but have read as much as I can when I could get the time (like at work).

Progress to date = both skis have been pressed, one flashed. Can't wait to get the holiday trip behind me so I can finish them up.

Check out http://people.oregonstate.edu/~romsosc/ ... /Blog.html
for photos and details.

l8r - Chris
cromsos

Post by cromsos »

This is the graphic I want to print on the topsheet. Sort of like a Japanese hanko. Perhaps I can print it on ricepaper and apply it under the varnish?

Supposed to look like a wood block stamp. I don't know, maybe a little over the top...

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice job! It's a great feeling when it all comes together.

I haven't had a lot of experience with graphics but the little bit I have done on rice paper and vellum paper with polyurethane wasn't good. I used a regular ink jet printer to print. The ink started to smudge when I applied the poly. So try it on a test piece first. Luckily it was on my experimental pair of skis.

Epoxy works great. Put some epoxy under and on top of the graphic, then apply wax paper over the top of the epoxy and smooth it out. The wax paper will not stick to epoxy.

Let us know how the graphics turn out.
cromsos

Post by cromsos »

Thanks for the tips on graphics. I have a friend working on a better graphic for me now, got lots of thumbs down on the Big Boi hanko.

Update, the skis are at the local shop. We stoneground them tonight and will be mounting bindings soon. I know I should have the graphic done first but I'm itchin to ski them ASAP. Too bad the weather forecast isn't cooperating.

Anyway, I'll post proper photos after the mount. Much buzz and props from the ski shop friends, though the general consensus is that they are WAY soft. At least I have a mark in the sand so to speak. For the next pair I'll have to tweak the thickness profile.

Here is what I'm thinking for a better graphic.