From exp, how many of these things can I get at Home Depot

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

metsrule008

From exp, how many of these things can I get at Home Depot

Post by metsrule008 »

From experience, how many of these things can I get a Home Depot [hopefully a guide for noobs (like myself) in the future]
  • MDF
    Vacuum Tape
    Vacuum Bagging Film
    Vacuum Pump
    A planer to cut the core
    Epoxy Resin
    Cores (Wood [pref. Bamboo])
    Fiberglass
    Edges
    Base Material
    Top Sheet Material
    Tip and Tail Spacer Material
    Sidewalls
    Rubber tip stopper
Thank You
vinman

Post by vinman »

probably just the planer and the MDF, maybe the bamboo if you buy flooring but not too sure about that one.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
nate

Post by nate »

Ha. Basically nothing. Tools like planer/router. MDF. That's about it.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

MDF, planar, and core wood (although they won't have bamboo in lengths long enough for a ski core, you have to go to a bamboo specialty store for that). For most other woods though like poplar, maple, spruce, etc they'll have boards that work great.

They will have fiberglass and resin, but certainly NOT the kind you want to use in skis!!!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Building plastic works okay for vacuum bagging... it isn't optimal but it works in a pinch. Packaging tape also works for vacuum tape.

If Home Depot sells refrigerators, then you can build a vacuum pump from home depot supplies... that is a stretch though.

Most stuff for ski building takes effort to get. That is basically why not many people do it. For example, lots of people build houses, but all of the materials are readily available, at home depot. Skis are a little more special.

Why are you so interested in Bamboo core anyway? Pine works great, and is cheap.
Want skis Better, Cheaper, Faster and much much Cooler... build your own.
WhiteCloud

Post by WhiteCloud »

You can get a nice substitute for vacuum bagging tape at HD sometimes. It's called sealant tape and is found in a 50' roll, in the roofing dept. About half price of most composite suppliers.
originskis

Post by originskis »

try the bamboo at a specialty flooring store (try to get non-varnished), but HD has a limited selection of wood for cores (oak, poplar, pine, cherry, etc.)