adjustable base and core router table

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

adjustable base and core router table

Post by doughboyshredder »

I am not completely finished with this tool. I plan on making some changes to the way the templates attach. I want to attach them to another piece that is attached to the strut so that instead of having to unscrew and re-screw to move the template a few mm, I can just loosen a couple strut nuts and move the assembly. I have something half drawn up, half in my head, but haven't been able to put the time in to it.

The pics should be pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions, just ask.

continued below
doughboyshredder

cores from wednesday are money btw :D
LifeisRiding

cool

Post by LifeisRiding »

nice!
thanks for sharing!
I need to build one of these
shopvac

Post by shopvac »

DBS, great jigs you are building. Thanks for sharing. I guess I don't understand the first picture? Why is the MDF shaped like it is? I see how the rest of the jig would be fairly easy to build custom width snowboards using the same two templates and how it would be relatively easy to swap the two templates out with another model (different length and or sidecut, right?).
doughboyshredder

shopvac wrote:DBS, great jigs you are building. Thanks for sharing. I guess I don't understand the first picture? Why is the MDF shaped like it is?
For no reason at all other than that they are the cutoffs from cutting out the templates. They are only for getting the height correct at this point. Eventually they will be shaped and the templates will fit in to a slot in those pieces.
I see how the rest of the jig would be fairly easy to build custom width snowboards using the same two templates and how it would be relatively easy to swap the two templates out with another model (different length and or sidecut, right?)
. Yep, so far it's working out great. Only issue is that surprisingly the templates will flex if given pressure. If the tip and center are screwed in you can actually change the tail by pushing or pulling on it. I envision having future templates shaped as two pieces that interlock instead of having the opening between the two of them. If I wasn't using a combination of straight and radiused lines in my sidecut, I would try and do something adjustable for the sidecut, but I am stuck using templates for different sidecuts and lengths.