ski layers don't bond together. what went wrong?!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zeno

ski layers don't bond together. what went wrong?!

Post by zeno »

Hey guys,

Today I took my second ski out of the press and it seems like I've really dded up...
When I had finished cutting out the excessive marterials at the sides of the ski i noticed that the topshhet layer had gone off the ski at the boders. The same thing happened with the base and the fibreglass layers.
So I started thinking and trying and came to conclusion that each layer can be teared off easily.
I have really no idea why, because I built the ski as my first one and the first ski doesn't make any problems...
The only thing that is different is that I've added a liquuid to reduce the air in the epoxy but it was about one drop of th air reducing liquid to a half kilo of epoxy(about 1.1 pounds). so I think that can't be the reason.

help me guys!! what went wrong??

here some pics...

http://www.freeskiers.net/community/att ... 1262687774

http://www.freeskiers.net/community/att ... 1262687763
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

pics dont work mate...you have to be registered at that forum ;)

do you use a heat curing epoxy?

where you from, btw? austria isnt that big...we might run into each other someday :D
zeno

Post by zeno »

No I don't think so. I used the Epoxy from Boardbuildingssupply.
I am from Tirol (Völs). Where do you come from?

I will try to get the the pics working...
zeno

Post by zeno »

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

hmm, we've had a similar problem but only on the topsheet. we used normal paper printed with a laser printer that wouldnt stick to the topsheet.
the rest of the board was fine though.
maybe you didnt treat the sidewalls and tipspacers properly (sand + flame)...i've heard that even pre-treated abs or uhmpe can loose its treatment over time.
the pics look a lot like thats the problem.

PS: i'm from krems (lower austria)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It's possible the epoxy was too thin in spots. I just pulled a pair out of the press this morning and had a similar problem with the tips. I was running low on epoxy and tried to make it stretch. The base pulled away from the core about 2 inches back from the tip. I fixed it by using 5 min epoxy by Titebond and then clamping it together. I'll let it set overnight and check it in the morning.

You can get Titebond epoxy at any Home Center or Hardware store.

I've used the the 5 min epoxy to make minor repairs and it worked well. Hopefully it will this time too.

btw - I never had air bubble problems with epoxy. I mix the epoxy/hardener with a stick, like you do with paint.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

One hour epoxy will work much better than 5 minute. 5 minute cures so quick that it becomes very brittle, and creates a weak spot over time.

I also have never had problems with air bubbles. I personally think the way it's mixed is irrelevant. I mix with a drill and a paint paddle. I think the layout of the resin is probably more important.

As far as the delam problems Crown plastics says that heat treating only lasts for 3 months so that may be an issue. I personally flame treat all plastic pieces right before layup.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

doughboyshredder wrote:One hour epoxy will work much better than 5 minute. 5 minute cures so quick that it becomes very brittle, and creates a weak spot over time.
Thanks for the info. I'll look for the 1 hour epoxy next time I'm out.