Section8 - 3rd pair

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 - 3rd pair

Post by skidesmond »

I just completed my 3rd pair. This ski measure 172cm 116-72-102. Layup is the same as the last pair:

Ptex base
metal edges
vds
triax
full wood core (maple w/ poplar down the middle)
triax
cotton fabric
QCM epoxy between all layers

I was running low on epoxy.. had just enough to finish the skis. The tips had some de-lamination when I took them out of the press. I fixed that with some 5 minute epoxy and clamped the tips back together. Everything held nicely (so far).

I took extra care during the layup process this time and had no core shifting. Still had a minor wrinkle on one ski but I think I can live with it for now. I may try to fix it later when I get more epoxy and add a new top sheet.... we'll see.

Bases came out good. I finished the top and sides with w/ 2 coats of exterior poly.

The bindings are the same as on the other Section8s. Tyrolia 14rfd railflex system.

Need to grind/condition/wax the bases still. I may try racing on them in our Wednesday night beer league for kicks. Depends on how they perform. Can't really hurt my time :D I'll post in the "Test and Trip Report; How Did They Work" forum.

It will be interesting to see if the maple/poplar core make any difference. It will be difficult to compare against the other skis since they have different dimensions. Oh well.

Here's some pics.

ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

This fabrics looks great, not a big fan of the flames usually but it's good looking !
Any idea why you got delam in the tips ?
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I think they delamed because I didn't saturate the fiberglass with enough epoxy. Hopefully I saturated the rest of the ski adequately. I'll find out soon enough ;)

I was a little hesitant about the flames too... Little too flashy... But I think they look ok. They'll stand out in the crowd for sure!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

throw a devil star on there, and you'll be golden.

Looks great.