new shape

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

new shape

Post by knightsofnii »

Built a test board of a new shape, using old materials while we are still waiting for cores and topsheets.

This one is a 155 wide. We had a major issue with our mold running length being too long for the board design, so I stuffed this one into an old mold I had labeled "146". Previous owner built boards with super short nose and tail, dont know how he did it. Anyway this one came out just great, I rode it last nite and now that we are bending the tips before the effective edge ends, they dont catch or hang up at all :) This one came out a little stiffer due to a thicker core, and the width is not designed for my little feet, but it rode well, the harder i rode it the better it reacted, so since its too much board for me I turned it over to a team rider for some real field testing, he's currently on his way across country headed to tahoe with this:

the combo of black base, pink sidewalls, purple top made it look awesome, IMO. The topsheet is an old apocalypse one circa 1995, so is the black base, really soft base not sure what it is but the board was fast!

I've got new molds in the works for each shape too, now that I know I cant use the molds I have for my designs, sticking with solid molds, scored a cnc guy who is inexpensive and very helpful so its not a big loss, more of a gain really.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

PS, the board to the left, is a 1989/90 Burton Air, one of my all time favorite boards, still ride it to this day with sidewall cracked in 3 spots and segmented edges popping out all over. Drilled thru binding baseplate to be able to mount a more modern stance with existing inserts :).
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

this board currently has six days on it, one by me and 5 by a team rider who totally kills it. He's been beating on it pretty good in the Tahoe area, and the reports are that there's no sign of it giving up whatsoever after multiple big jumps, tailblocks on rock jibs and all kinds of different shredding. Stoked :)
Doug
brewster

Post by brewster »

I had that same Burton! I remember thinking at the time that it completely ripped! I actually saw someone riding one the other day at Snowbird. I wish I still had mine.