CNC Template Service

For non-commerical sales of materials, equipment, and resources related to ski/snowboard building

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Head Monkey

CNC Template Service

Post by Head Monkey »

I am now offering a very affordable CNC template service for snowboard or ski templates. The goal is to provide the small snowboard and ski building community with cheap templates for simple designs developed in snoCAD-X.

All of the details are here: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/HMS/cnc-templates/

Hopefully you guys will find this helpful.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
nick

Post by nick »

wow this is awesome. I was actually just making my mold today and thinking of how much of a pain in the butt it is to get it exact and flawless. I was thinking how nice it would be to get one cnc machined for my next one. but it would be nice to get a template made. Do you just want us to email you the order with the snocad design?
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Unfortunately, on 2/27/2010 my CNC machine’s controller failed. It is not clear precisely which part of the control system has malfunctioned, but it is clear there are multiple issues. As this has become a very part-time endeavor for me, repairs will not happen quickly. I currently hope to have the machine repaired early this Summer, at which time I will look into offering this service again.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

as far as getting a mold perfectly smooth. I just had one CNC'd and the strips still dont wanna line up perfectly, there's so many variables, you need to get them butted together perfectly flat, then when running bolts thru the strips could shift depending on how well the bolt went thru, if they're tilted when the bolt going thru etc.

Next mold we're doing this: Having the cnc super rough cut all strips quickly but slightly oversized. Then glue and bolt up the entire thing together, once glue is dry place the whole mold back on the cnc and have the cnc machine down the last 1/4" or so then sand smooth. Not sure what kind of ridges are going to be left by the bit, etc, but we're giving it a shot.
Doug
carnold

Post by carnold »

Hi. I started CNCing my moulds as individual profiles of 18mm mdf but the completed mould weighed tooooo much. Using dowels drilled on the CNC not bolts will help to align the parts.
I've being making the moulds from 90x45mm pine for a while now. 8 lengths laminated into a 1670x320x90mm block and putting the whole thing on the CNC. I rough it out with a 20mm serrated rough cutter 5 mm oversize and then finish with 19mm ball end making parallel lengthwise cuts 1mm apart. I laminate 4 mm MDF over the whole thing in the vac bag to give a smooth and hard surface. Finally a couple of coats of white lacquer and all good to go.
It's low cost, light weight and works perfectly.
C.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

anyone else out there offering any type of affordable template/mold building services?

its possible that I lost our current CNC guy, he got really sick then said he's not taking new business till he can finish up his backlog, since then his website has expired and wont return calls. Not sure what's going on, sucks cuz he was probably one of the best. and now we're in a pickle :(
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

So we got these 2 eastman cutters.
My idea is have the pen unit draw the shape on mdf. Have the machine cut the shape out of 1/4 inch PE.
Staple the PE template down to the MDF in the lines.
Take to router table and machine with the aid of the PE template as a part to run the bearing on.
This should produce CNC type results.

Why do you guys run the bolts through? Because they are all adjustable?
I just glue lam and have no problems with alignment. I had some stuff cnc'd.
I do my adjustable more like how on3p has theirs set up.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

60-100 psi, they get glued AND bolted, one piece molds
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

how deep can you cut? if you an cut 1/4" pe there should be no problem just cutting right to some 1/2" mdf
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

no, its a drag blade the PE is way soft and the total depth is a carbide blade no way to extend it that far as a 1/2 inch.
Not to mention you cant cut mdf with an exact o knife.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

aghh that pe is like 2.2mm so much thinner than 1/4 inch. My idea should still be sound
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you can cut pizza with it too!!! so there's no spindle or anything spinning? bummer

how bout a hot wire? Anyway if you tape the 2.2mm plastic down to something you can probably use as template just gotta be super careful
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

yeah nothing spins for 100K. INsane.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

because its for the graphics industry, oh my gawdd, you can charge a premium for it, really? 100k?
I hope you only paid like 1500bucks for it ;)
Doug
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I pay nothing the comapny I work for has 2 tables and paid full price.

The machines are actually most commonly used for aerospace stuff. Helicopters and what not.