Looking for fiberglass

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mahoosuc

Looking for fiberglass

Post by mahoosuc »

Has anyone had any success ordering tri-axial fiberglass from anyone. I ordered a couple yards from snowboardmaterials.com but it's still not here and it has been a month. I ordered some other materials from them also and they also took forever to get here... I have all my other materials I'm just waiting on the glass. I'm excited to get my projects started, so I can try a couple of skis out this winter. Any ideas would be awesome.

Jeff
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

i recently checked the snowboardmaterials.com site and they put up a note saying that all orders will be delayed until after Christmas or New Years. can't remember the exact details but that's probably what's causing the delay.

maybe someone has some extra that they're willing to sell?
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
team08

Post by team08 »

Try some of the boat building guys in Maine. They should be able to give you some scrap, or at least a supplier. Or call vectorply for some samples. Fiberglass supply also has what you are looking for.
Enduro_Skiin

Hamilton Marine

Post by Enduro_Skiin »

Try hamilton Marine in Portland, they will have everything you need. If you make it down here I will fill you in on the progress of my project.

Brian
mahoosuc

hamilton a no go

Post by mahoosuc »

Brian were you able to get triaxial glass through Hamilton... I called the Portland store and they told me that they don't carry triaxial.

Does everyone else get their triaxial glass through snowboardmaterials.com I've seen vectorply on the site before but, I thought you'd have to order in bulk.

thanks for the ideas...

jeff
team08

Post by team08 »

hafte

Post by hafte »

I have been getting some fabrics here. They have always been good to work with. It is a boat building site.
http://www.raka.com/

They list lots of biaxial fabrics and only one 22 oz triaxial fabric. I have used a 17 oz. biaxial fabric w/no mat that is two layers of loosely knitted together unidirectional materials.

Is that how the fabrics from snowboard materials are made?

I haven't touched them yet and can't tell from pictures on the site if they are the same.

Hafte