2011 Blak Sheep :)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

2011 Blak Sheep :)

Post by knightsofnii »

2 years of building and testing,
another couple yrs before that in planning, talking, brainstorming, and probably 10 yrs before that is when I first decided this is what I truly want to do :).

We're not jumping into a 500-20,000 board operation overnite, we're going to try to make 30 boards similar to this one over spring/summer. Anyway I finished the first one in these photos this afternoon, then took a spin on it in 70+ degrees and sunshine :). That's Dave and his little girl in the photos.

Some specs:

Gnarly State Park Stik, 155
waist: 25.0
sidecut: 7900
bent length: about 1530
stance: up to 26"!!! not sure what that is in metric
effective edge: 1220
running length: 1175
thicknesses: 2mm / 6.8mm \ 6.5mm / 6.8 \ 2mm, probably gonna thin this out a pinch

subbed isosport base
edges ;)
22 oz triax
crown tip fill ;)
v lam poplar cores, no fingerjoints
camax inserts
bamboo sidewalls
more 22oz tri
Lees coextruded subbed topsheet
stoke, and a little gnar ;)
graphics inspired by one of the greatest snowboarders ever, RIP Craig Kelly

Above is the specs on the board in photo only, which i built for me to test out all the new materials, etc. Its a little stiff so we're gonna switch it up to some biax. But having all the correct matching parts in a board made a world of difference:). The board came out perfectly flat and I was able to grind it without an autofeed in 5minutes, including the sides. Having wood sidewalls makes grinding sidewall and side edge so much easier, but there's a lot more finish work to the sidewall itself, mostly in time with taping, treating, drying, etc. Anyway, here she is:

Doug
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

cool! Looks like you are really getting your process dialed.
sammer

Post by sammer »

knights...
For sidewall treatment you should seriously try boiled linseed oil.
Easy to apply, lasts a long time before recoating.
No masking, taping etc. Just wipe on with a rag, wipe the excess off the base and topsheet, and let dry overnight. Done :D

Maple sidewalls rule. Mine still look like new after 50+ days of shitkicking.
still haven't tried bamboo,

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good luck with the snowboard making operation. I'm not a snowboarder but it's great to see a quality product.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

this board rides SO good! Cant believe it. Ripped up Hunter Mountain friday, then she went with Dave to Big Boulder in PA and got some jump and rail and dirt abuse, then back to hunter today for more of the same.

Hoping they all come out like this. And a rocker mold is coming this week, cant wait for that :).
Doug
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Big Boulder was my home mountain back in the 70's and 80's. My sisters and I used to be on the brochure cover rocking jeans, boot gaiters, and Mother Karen's tops. Good to hear that it is still open!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

they really cater to the freestyler now, lots of rails and jumps and a reputation as one of the better parks on the east coast, though I've never been there myself. I've been to Jack Frost though. Pretty neat hill with the parking and lodge at the "summit" hahaha
Doug