PBT vs. Nylon Topsheets

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Slant

PBT vs. Nylon Topsheets

Post by Slant »

Hi, does anyone have experience working with PBT topsheets and clear back printed nylon topsheets? I want to switch from pbt to nylon because I don't like the topsheet chip factor of pbt. However, pbt has very clear graphics. So, if I sublimate on the back of clear nylon (or clear uhmwpe) and white screen behind it is it as clear as pbt graphics? What are the other advantages or disadvantages? What types of nylon do you recommend? Thanks!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I think pm gear switched to nylon this year and similar chipping occurs. Could be wrong, that's what I Heard. I think the nylon should sublimate with similar clarity.

I think on3p uses nylon and there stuff looks sweet. Could be wrong again lots of speculation over here.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Pretty sure pat and I are using the same nylon right now. Results are mixed. They still chip, though they don't chip like pbt. Moreso they sort of peal.

We've realized that with how sharp we send our edges out, any edge/topsheet contact with going to cause chipping for us. Definitely not a ton you can do.

IMO, pbt is easier to finish. I can get a good bevel in less than a minute per ski with pbt, razor blade, and some 120 grit paper/sanding block.

Nylon has proven much more difficult. We use a razor, sheet sander, the a few other steps to get the desired beveled topsheet edge. And we still get chipping.

Even with the extra work, I think the nylon will stay. It does chip better than pbt, if that make sense, but with this type of design topsheet chipping will always be somewhat of an issue. I think it looks a bit poppier and cleaner as well, but pbt also looks good.
Slant

Post by Slant »

Thanks for the info and opinions. What you guys said sounds right on. Do you have experience with clear UHMW-pe topsheets? It seems like it would have similar properties to nylon, except maybe harder-more chip resistant.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

UHMW is not harder, it is softer. Therefore less chipping. We have about 50+ Meters that we wont be using if you would like to try some out. It is hard to Sub in to, it warps and registration is poor. Crown suggests back printing ( Screen or otherwise).

It is a great material, however we are going with PBT or Nylon this year. It is just easier to print for us.
Slant

Post by Slant »

heli, do you have the Galleria from crown? or is it the optimizer-CE? are you still able to get it to lay up well?
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

We have DuraClear. It can still be laid up but it isnt ideal.
Slant

Post by Slant »

Has anyone else had any luck sublimating on crown's UHMW-pe topsheets and then back screening them with white? I wonder how the graphics and durability compare with nylon.
heliski989

Post by heliski989 »

I would not suggest subing the UHMW. you should back print only if you want to use that material.
Slant

Post by Slant »

I know that you speak form experience, but what about crown's Galleria? They claim it is the leading sublimated base in the industry, and they make it thinner for sublimated topsheets... but maybe thinner IS the problem with it.
nate

Post by nate »

I think the topsheet I used is more like nylon/uhmw. It doesn't chip as such. It more peels up. I'm not sure that it's preferable to the chipping or not. Just different.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

of course they claim its the leading base in the industry, iso stakes this claim as well ;)

I have iso subbed and backflooded bases and they're nice, they look a little better after pressing than they do on the shelf, but i'd like to try stuff other than subbing. Subbing into base material isnt nearly as vibrant as it is with the topsheets. Subbed topsheets are the shit! Especially if it's an iso metal-flake topsheet.
Doug
falls

Post by falls »

Can I dredge this thread rather than start a new one?
Just trying to get my head around the various names of plastic topsheet.
Am I right in thinking that nylon and polyamide topsheet are one and the same (nylon is in the group of plastics that make up the polyamide family).
If so I was wondering specifically which nylon is being used (if that isn't giving too much away). It seems the printers must apply the peel ply after sublimation. Finally is the bonding side treated in any way for the nylon topsheet.
So far my research has lead me to polyamide 12, but a supplier specific to ski top sheet would be great. Thanks.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
cuddy

Topsheet

Post by cuddy »

I too am looking for a supplier for different topsheet material. I am currently using Crown but is too soft and peels. I would rather see chipping. Can anyone point me in the direction of PBT or Nylon?
Thanks,
Matt
www.meierskis.com
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Been hearing rumours for a while about some new material Crown might release as a topsheet alternative. Supposedly very hugh clarity/ I assume it'll be UHMW so peeling woudl still be an issue.

Maybe a very low angle bevel would help reduce peeling?