Another carbon thread

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

*ARMADA*

Another carbon thread

Post by *ARMADA* »

Would carbon stringers laminated in the core (as shown in this crude diagram) cause the same "issues" with the fiberglass as carbon sheets?
J I B T H E S H I T
Greg

Post by Greg »

I don't really think that core setup would have the same bad issues. I would think that it would make the core tend to behave as if it were the average of the two materials and their cross-sections in the core. I know with the Bremallows, I used maple and mahogony in a similar fashion, and had a much softer core than when I used a solid maple core in my second pair of skis.
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

I'm just looking to gain a little pop/ stiffness over my first skis. I used maple/ poplar in them. Is the best way to gain stiffness without a lot of extra weight switching to all maple? trying to find wood with really tight grain? using a thicker core? extra layers of glass? some sort of carbon stringers?
J I B T H E S H I T
Alex

Post by Alex »

In my opinion you gain nothing with placing the carbon on the core. All issues of combining materials with different Young modulus remain. You might even experience delamination issues (as far as i rember dbskis had this problem with carbon/wood skis).

I would suggest to use a wood with higher Young modulus (ash e.g.) for more pop and a thicker core for stiffness and stay with simple glass.
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

So you mean stick with just 2 layers of glass?
J I B T H E S H I T
Henrik

Post by Henrik »

Just a little tip!

Remember that the, do not know the word for this, modulus for two layers increase with the sqare of the distance between them. So if you increase thicknes from 10 to 11 mm the flex increases with 20 %. Small changes makes big differences!

Henrik
Professor!