Serif Draw Plus 8

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

doughboyshredder

Serif Draw Plus 8

Post by doughboyshredder »

Serif makes a pretty good drawing program that I have been using for quite a while. The new "free" (10.00$) version is #8 there is a pay version which is I think 16 or something like that.

Anyway the coolest new feature is that you can open .dxf files (snocad, etc..) and make changes to the drawing and then save as a .dxf file. This will be great for me as I will be able to design in snocad and then tweak the sidecut with straightline in the drawing program. You could also use this to add notches for skins, or swallowtails, etc....

I haven't checked the new file for cnc driveability, but hopefully it's all good.
doughboyshredder

you can also design in the draw program and convert to .dxf. Sick! This could really work good for you guys wanting to do die cuts.
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

Thanks for the heads up man, sounds good.
doughboyshredder

Yeah, the 2nd one.

Beware Serif will call you occasionally and try to get you to upgrade. Their first sales pitch is misleading, trying to get you to upgrade to the 99 dollar version. They only call a few times a year though, and it's usually some sexy sounding british lady.

I used the program for all of my sublimation graphics, and for everything on my website.
tufty

Post by tufty »

Personally, I use Inkscape for all my vector stuff. It's free, and it imports / exports all major vector formats.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Ah! Linux! Finally!....or?
tufty

Post by tufty »

Well, I'm a mac-head, but I come from a unix background. There's binaries on inkscape.org for mac and windows, and most linuxes have it in their repositories.

It's mainly intended for artistic stuff, not as a CAD tool, but it doubles pretty well. If you want full open source CAD, qcad community edition is pretty good.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Inkscape looks promising! I'm using Ubuntu and it installed. Now I'm trying to create an arc...

It looks like you can create some really crazy graphic design layout aswell!

Thanks tufty for the tip!

PS. Me and windows aren't the best friends...
H-man

Post by H-man »

Linux??

Happy time!

the only cnc-dudes near me are using CamBam CNC to make the toolpaths and I have had major headaches getting the Snowcad files to size correctly on CamBam, I will definatly be checking the linux options!!

Is there currently a thread with software tips/tricks/Linux/Mac ideas??

because my windows skills have gone rm -rf if you are one of 10 types who get that?!
OAC

Post by OAC »

I get it! :) (Mine aswell)
Lets create a thread...
Alex13

Post by Alex13 »

hurkummer wrote: because my windows skills have gone rm -rf if you are one of 10 types who get that?!
Is it a binary joke?