First Pair Edge issues

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

AKtransplant

First Pair Edge issues

Post by AKtransplant »

I pulled my first two pair of skis out of the press this weekend. They look OK except for the edges. On the tip of one of the skis one of the edges pulled away from the ski. The edges were supposed to be full wrap with the seam at the tip. Is it a total loss or can I repair that?

For now I trimmed the tip so that the pulled away edge is still covered with glass and tip fill and the edge that did not pull away has epoxy covering it to match the other. I'm not sure if that's clear but I can't post pictures from here.

By the way, This site has such a wealth of information it is intimidating to start but my build would not have been possible without it. Thanks to all who have contributed
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Post some pics. It can most likely be fixed. Can the edge be pushed back into place? If so, then it can be fixed.

I've made similar minor repairs to the tail where the edge started to pull away or sprung out of place. Depending where on the tip and how bad it is, it can be fixed. May turn out to be cosmetic too.

I used 5 min or 30 min epoxy that you can a get at a hardware store or big box store for such repairs. Then use a variety of C-clamps or spring clamps to hold everything in place. Then after letting it set over night clean up the patched area.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

And to make sure that you don't experience this problem again make sure that your edges are bent to fit without glue. In other words don't expect the super glue to hold your edges in place during pressing.