Masking Tape?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OnDeck

Masking Tape?

Post by OnDeck »

i thought ui kne how to use the interweb, but I msut be missing some key word. :oops: I can;t seem to find a roll of adhesive, protective tape to lay on the topsheet during building.

Can anyone reccomend a product and/or a place to purchase?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

Oops, forgot to mention: I'm looking for something wide enough for a wide snowboard. i can find masking tape, but everything over 3" is called "masking paper" which i assume is not adhesive.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Someone will know exactly what you need, but until they turn up, have a look at melinex or mylar tape - I would have suggested UHMWPE tape, but I can't see anything wide enough.
Last edited by Richuk on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hafte

Post by hafte »

This might work if it's available in your part of the world.

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organi ... ogId=10053

I saw this here and started using it on my bases to keep the epoxy off of them. Works good for that and seems to be removable after being heated... at least to the 120-130 F I heat things to. Might work good to protect the topsheet too. Its cheap enough to test with anyway.

Hafte
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

In case anyone gives a sh1t, it's called APPLICATION TAPE, not masking tape. It's cheap as dirt, and abundant.

Just got to know the magic words to google.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

We use contact paper, its cheap and comes in really wide rolls.
falls

Post by falls »

hey twizz. do you heat your skis? How hot? Thanks. I have some contact that I want to use on the sides of the cassette to catch any excess epoxy squeeze out, but might use it on bases/tops too if it can withstand heat well.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

we've used it on the base at about 90°C and it didn't melt...so i guess you're good to go. still had some epoxy that got squeezed between the base and the contact paper though. but it was considerably less than without the paper.
falls

Post by falls »

Thanks chris. Do you use sicomin epoxy?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

yep, we're using the SR8500 / SZ8525 combo. gotta love that stuff! 20min. cure time at 90°C rocks.
falls

Post by falls »

Cool. I have some of the same on a boat from Europe. Somewhere in the Indian ocean at present, but on it's way.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

pretty long journey. where did you buy it and what did you pay? i got mine at timeout.de and 15kg (resin+hardener) cost me 200,- eur plus 56,- eur shipping.
falls

Post by falls »

There is a supplier here in Australia. They keep the resin in stock, but not the hardener. So they ordered a kit.
I think its a 7kg kit for about $150AU + $30 shipping. About 100 euros I think - so about the same price as you are paying.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I've used pipe insulation along the cassette - it catches excess epoxy without getting stuck to it. I use it to help keep the heat in.