Error

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

My Press Frame is Rusty. Re-painting it. What Color?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Black
71%
White
No votes
Blue
29%

Total votes: 7

a.badner

Post by a.badner »

honestly, stfu.

i know i will be far more successful than SOME of you on here.

( a 93.6% average, a School Athletic Award, Greatest Achiever Award for Extended French Courses, legally trilingual, Outstanding Performance Award in Science English Math Human Kinetics and Art, Vice-President of Student Council, Member of social Justice Comity AND Founder of Robert F. Hall Ski Club. In my opinion this would get me into a decent University in a heartbeat. just my opinion.)

and calling me a meat head? really? you really need to step your game up MM. im sorry. but your pathetic. Does ripping on a 15 year old make you feel better? if so, you really need to re-evaluate your social beliefs and ... your life. You are a nobody.

And sorry for that Twizz, good point. one small calculation wrong, and your 5 billion dollar project crashes into one of jupiters moons. haha :D
richie

???? wow you are amazing buddy

Post by richie »

You will no doubt be successful in something with all those academic and people skills you have - ever wondered what some of these very clever people you're sparing with do for day jobs and have experienced and learnt in the last 20-30 or more years since high school? Some of them might be successful business people, great parents, leaders in organisations public and private...... I have learnt over the years that LISTENING is a big part of being successful!!!! We all have strengths and weaknesses and part of growing up is learning to live with those weaknesses , and work to your strengths and harness others - using other peoples strengths which is what groups like this are about. Sharing your own knowledge and experience is the other part of this which everyone appreciates - buddy you've not built a ski yet but you know so much , come on man LISTEN and take advise and don't be so thick skinned. cheers
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
EricW

Post by EricW »

Starting a post with stfu pretty much proves his point. You should probably define your version of success and if you're going to be that arrogant, you may as well put names to "some".

As far as your resume goes, so you get good grades and you're active in extra curricular stuff. Hey, I did that too. Not too sure about that social justice thing though. That usually brings up thoughts of redistribution of wealth for me.

I have to give you credit. You seem fairly bright and it takes a fair bit of intelligence to attempt what you are doing.

You might be intelligent but yes, you're a meat head. You're too arrogant to even consider you don't know something or that you don't see the whole puzzle. That whole conversation about cambered cores is a perfect example. I've been working with wood for as long as you have been alive but you think you know more about it than me. You totally blew off that one of the best board builders in the world does it. Remember, you're talking to people that are probably two or three times your age. Yeah, you might be smart for your age but you're 15.

MM isn't bashing you for fun. He's frustrated. So much of what you say is wrong or missing pieces, but you treat it as gospel truth. You admit to being conceited and you wear it like a badge of honor. It's not bad to think highly of yourself but there should be some kind of limit. At 15 you shouldn't be calling others stupid unless they are only 10. You pretty much brought his comments on yourself. Don't pretend to be some kind of victim.

What do you mean by "step up your game"? He's a solid source of good information on this forum. You aren't. If you would leave your pride at the door, you wouldn't have so many people frustrated. If you came at this from a position humility, people would respect you. As it is, you've tried to overpower a lot of us with shallow or incomplete arguments. We spot the flaws in them easily but you think we're dumb for disagreeing with you.

If when I first got into the workforce, I started telling everyone how to do stuff, people would have blown me off. They would have had a good reason to. I would have had no business doing so. I needed to sit back, ask questions and learn. I had all kinds of knowledge from school but it wasn't worth much in the real world. Experience is so much more important than all the book knowledge in the world. I know people with Masters Degrees working in sandwich shops and high school dropouts that make millions.

Again, I think it's great you're go getter that's trying build some skis. But being a know-it-all is only going to alienate the people around you.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Don't say anything in a forum you wouldn't say to a person face to face. The fact that your 15 is the only reason people are willing to help you but you've alienated so many only that fewer and fewer people are offering help.

Nice accomplishments. But if you're only doing that stuff for bragging rights, nobody will care. And it won't take long for people to see through it.

Out in the real world (and high school/college isn't it) it takes a lot more than brains to get through the day. Companies look for people who can work together, with personalities that bring about team work and leadership. College degrees and GPA's are secondary, yes it's true! I've worked in the corporate world for almost 30 years. I've seen your types come and go. They end up working by themselves because everybody else is "stupid". Check the attitude.

You should start you're own company because I'm sure people will find it hard working with a know-it-all. Nobody like working with or for a know-it-all.

If you go back and read this long post you'll see a trend of people offering help and advice of ski building. Then it starts to slide into help and advice about your attitude.

You're 15 so you have time to change.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

theonly reason i was not accepting the advice of other people was because they didnt understand my original intentions. i.e the press. and im comaring everything to my own experiences, i.e the deforming ptex.

so its hard to say im arrogant.
im just saying that there is no point in bashing on me.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: ( a 93.6% average, a School Athletic Award, Greatest Achiever Award for Extended French Courses, legally trilingual, Outstanding Performance Award in Science English Math Human Kinetics and Art, Vice-President of Student Council, Member of social Justice Comity AND Founder of Robert F. Hall Ski Club. In my opinion this would get me into a decent University in a heartbeat. just my opinion.)
(Universities look at grammar and spelling too. I noticed those weren't listed)

The whole point of this forum (and other DIY forums) is to share experiences and mistakes with others, so that we can each learn from other's mistakes, and not make them ourselves. This saves you money, time, frustration, etc. If you share your successes and your failures, you are contributing to the cause. But if you can't take criticism, you're letting ego get in the way of otherwise efficiency-improving goodness.

In all honesty, the first ski press I made was WAY more dodgy than yours. But I didn't have anyone telling me otherwise, I hadn't gone through college yet so I had no real engineering education. Boy how I've changed in 10 years.

So if you think VERY BASIC kinematics is stupid and difficult, then maybe you shouldn't make assumptions about thermal expansion, structural integrity, or anything else engineering-related. What you're learning in school right now is hardly even the tip of the iceberg (but its all seriously awesome stuff, if you can get stoked for it)

I keep trying to steer your thread in the right direction, but you just put fuel on the fire. Advice - from now on, only post things like "ok, I'll try that next time" or "good idea, I hadn't thought of that". Even if you're lying out your ass, you'll get plenty of respect that way.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

two things. i wasn't saying kinematics is hard. i said boring.
and ok, ill do that next time. haha :)

and imo, my press is not sketchy at all.
the thing is there is more than one way to solve an equation, and the one that every body did is not necessarily the way i want to.

and my grammar, meh. this isnt an essay.this is fb talk
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: and imo, my press is not sketchy at all.
The problem is your opinion is based on zero experience, and that's why you're getting all the flack. ;)
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

a.badner wrote: and my grammar, meh. this isnt an essay.this is fb talk
This might not be an essay, but it's not facebook or newschoolers either. When you're trying to explain complicated things to people via the internet, missing words, missing punctuation, and all these abbreviations only make things worse. Take the time to write things out, it saves you time later re-explaining things.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

May I add it makes it even harder to understand for non-English people (like me...)
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Last edited by doughboyshredder on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
EricW

Post by EricW »

doughboyshredder wrote:dded shift
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I don’t care what format you are typing in, not capitalizing, spell checking or using proper grammar makes you look stupid. Even if you think you are the smartest kid on your block. Stop acting like an idiot.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

This journal is a distraction to the positive aims and objectives of skibuilders.com. I would be grateful if you - the reader - would decide whether adding fuel to this exchange is helpful. The options appear to be either add advice and support, in the full knowledge that it may well be overlooked, or leave it alone. The press is built and he understands that we think it is substandard, but the adults in his life are happy with it.

If this child comes to your journal and comments in a manner that is less than constructive, either report it or overlook it.

If this child writes something on a topics and you don't agree - please remember you are dealing with a child.

Some concensus on this would be appreciate, as I would like to see the positive and constructive aims and objectives of the forum respected - not that I am full of virtue, but I try and do my bit!
PowderKing

Post by PowderKing »

Lol, I'm also building skis and I am also 15. It's cool to see i'm nit the only one. You project is looking way more proffesional than mine. Looks Awesome
Building skis when there ain't no pow!