Error

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

My Press Frame is Rusty. Re-painting it. What Color?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Black
71%
White
No votes
Blue
29%

Total votes: 7

doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Richuk wrote:This journal is a distraction to the positive aims and objectives of skibuilders.com. I would be grateful if you - the reader - would decide whether adding fuel to this exchange is helpful. The options appear to be either add advice and support, in the full knowledge that it may well be overlooked, or leave it alone. The press is built and he understands that we think it is substandard, but the adults in his life are happy with it.

If this child comes to your journal and comments in a manner that is less than constructive, either report it or overlook it.

If this child writes something on a topics and you don't agree - please remember you are dealing with a child.

Some concensus on this would be appreciate, as I would like to see the positive and constructive aims and objectives of the forum respected - not that I am full of virtue, but I try and do my bit!
good post. all my replies have been removed.
Now, we need an ignore function.
sammer

Post by sammer »

sammer wrote: And please don't feed the troll any more!!

thanks,

sam
Perhaps I didn't say it LOUD enough the first time.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

you know what.? dded this. i dont need this extra stress in my life.

consider this journal deleted.

never happened. never existed.
Last edited by a.badner on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Awwww. poor kid. the real world is tough outside your bubble.
Takes a while to get up the thick skin you will need.
You will be OK. Just remember, no matter how smart you think you are there are 40 people smarter right around the corner. You can even learn something from the dumber ones if you listen. Patience is a tough virtue to come by or learn.

I hope you go to a good college and me some smart people and get some real perspective on life.

Oh and just because you do one thing once and it works doesn't mean that it is correct or true or will work again.
leboeuf

Post by leboeuf »

Lol this feels like 4chan,
The internet is such the perfect hate machine...

This thread did make me wish I were 16 again though!
PowderKing

Post by PowderKing »

4 CHAN Awesome!
Building skis when there ain't no pow!
hafte

Post by hafte »

WOW what a beat down. Haven't seen something like this in a while. WOW
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

i was just looking back at this, and decided to re-post my press.

(almost 6 months late but, here it is)

in advance/ prior to everyone reading this, i do feel sorry for what i have said. i was just extremely frustrated people saying putrid things about the thing i have designed and put extreme amounts of thought into (to make it safe, fail safely, work properly, calculating, and balancing counteracting forces.) and i just snapped because i felt no one was listening to me. furthermore, i hope some of you feel the same way.

Also, i would like to thank the people who have helped me build my awesome skis, that i love with my life.

i do hope people will continue to constructively criticize (in a non-attacking way) on people press ideas. but also, give it a chance. testing and experiments are a part of the greatest discoveries. (not-relating to my press at all)

just thought i would say; my press frame is more than fine after pressing 6 pairs + all the dry runs and flex test. but i personally believe it did not deserve the criticism that it has received.

and i really do apologize for my immaturity. Bottom-Line.

-adam
sammer

Post by sammer »

Adam, first off well done not killing yourself :)

But in retrospect look at your first few posts, you've grown up a fair bit since then.
Your posts now are coherent and well thought out.
You were bucking authority and trying to prove something (perhaps you did)
We are all just here to have fun and to help each other build good skis/boards.

I think I can speak for most here and say;
#1 we didn't want you to get hurt (physically),
#2 sometimes you have to take criticism without getting hurt (mentally)
#3 we're glad your back as a contributing member of this site!

Thanks for growing and coming back!
Good luck with your future builds.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

So currently,
i have sold 6 pairs of skis ( mostly friends ). total customer satisfaction with the exception of one warranty return (tips also de-laminated) ;)

and i currently have one amateur rider on my "insomnia ski" team

and i have a t-shirt line.

here are some pics from session; where we actually got some attention in the local newspaper. they wrote an article about "kids" skiing and snowboarding on urban territory. but they were writing about it being a good thing because were better than the kids drinking and doing drugs/ other things illegal.

Introducing; Till (he does not want his last name on the internet apperently)

me - i was happy to see that they used a similar photo on one of the pages in the newspaper. a nice insomnia logo advertised for free.

future builds.

: new core profile. trying the horizontal stack up lamination.
: new mold. camber is a little bit too aggressive.
: a new way to cut tips.
: and a heat system. pressing skis and having to wait three days for the to fully cure is not fun. even worse when a person has already payed you for their skis and are waiting for them.
: a new template for skis. i had to mount everybody's bindings because brakes were not wide enough and they did not know what to do. gah bending brakes is worse than bending edges.

: a new attitude. this one will defiantly be harder than the others.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm telling you dude, leashes! Everybody says I'm crazy to use leashes, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $50 for some wide brakes, and bending brakes always comes out ghetto.

(and you'll never lose a ski in powder)

Nice job on the small production run. How much are you selling the skis for? Enough to recoup some of the tooling costs, or just enough to make them "not gifts"?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

(also you haven't posted any pictures of your skis since your first pair, other than these action shots which don't really show the ski in any detail)
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

just enough that they are not gifts basically.
the last pair i sold for $249.
cost of materials was only 150ish but i take 30/hour for work.

and the pictures. ica n get my friends to take pictures of their skis, if you want them. i was just to busy with the work + school.

only thing thats changed in the skis tho is: i changed the tips. now the edge goes through the tip. almost to the end of it. and then from the edge there is like a 3/4 of a circle there. kind of like ON3P's tips but with out the buldge for floatation.

-i found some nice fabric that has like red stringers running through in random directions. looks nice because you can still see wood through the white parts of the fabric. i personally dont know if my friends like the wood, but i do. i remember seeing the rossi's with a wooden painted topsheet, and i loved how that looked.
a.badner

Post by a.badner »

oh and im trying to get a hold of new materials for next year/summer.

anyone know where to get like a variety of colored p-tex. because i bought some from clyde snowboards. but i dont know if he is selling somthing like that.
powderho

Post by powderho »

twizzstyle wrote:I'm telling you dude, leashes! Everybody says I'm crazy to use leashes, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay $50 for some wide brakes, and bending brakes always comes out ghetto.
Ski brakes can easily be bent correctly if you know what you're doing. Granted mine have been know to turn out pretty ghetto, but the boys at the P-Dog shop have got it down. Andy can do it in the 30 seconds and they're perfect. He uses the closed-end of two box wrenches. One is used as the pivot of the bend, and the other is the lever. They turn out way better than wide brakes that barely clear the skis, but are still too wide and get in the way.

And Twizz, please don't ski with powder-cords. It's about as safe as tree skiing with a super long scarf tied around your neck.