Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Snowmoto

Epoxy

Post by Snowmoto »

I'm planning on laying up my first pair of skis later this month, and I need to know what would be the best epoxy/resin that I should use. I'm planning on using a heated vaccum press. Just picking your brains on some ideas.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It depends greatly on the temperature you can reach. If you heating system is powerfull enough you can use a system that requires hot hardening. You gain a stronger composite and longer pot life.

If you can't reach the required temperature you can take a resin that's made for hardening at room temperature. But please make shure to take a slow hardener (at least 40min pot life).

There are some special resins made for boat construction that are specially made for wood/glass fiber composites (from Sicomin e.g.). If you can get this it might be the best solution.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We've been using epoxy from QCM, but have also used west systems with success. I would say use the west systems first, since it is easy to use and works well.

-kelvin
Snowmoto

Post by Snowmoto »

Thanks for the help. I'll let ya know how things go with my first press. Thanks again. 8)