belt grinder NEED advice

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

THX

first I need to get converter and make or find somewhere binding bridge. 2 new aluminum oxide belts on it now. . I want to put switch on the pump this way machine can be use dry as wood sander.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Check with rockaukum for a bridge. I bought mine from him and he had a bunch at the time.

I use my grinder as a dry sander all the time, it's amazing. Just remember to protect the coolant from any sawdust. That will turn your coolant nasty fast.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

twizzstyle wrote:Check with rockaukum for a bridge. I bought mine from him and he had a bunch at the time.

I use my grinder as a dry sander all the time, it's amazing. Just remember to protect the coolant from any sawdust. That will turn your coolant nasty fast.
design of this machine similar to edge sander for woodworking.
In future will make new site panel so dust collector can be connected.

Coolant tank in a separate compartment under-knees and can be easily isolated and covered. My only concern the pump. I have two options here to install switch or loop liquid back to the tank and keep pump running.
chenzo

Post by chenzo »

there should be a valve on the water hose that you can shut off/on, but a switch on the water pump would be best to have.

good score !
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

how to properly size a phase converter? Static or rotary?
drive motor powered draw 2.2 kW, feed motors and pump 0.2 and 0.1 kW.
chenzo

Post by chenzo »

I'm not an expert on how to properly size a phase converter, but at mininmum I think you need to run a rotary pc.

I actually met today with our local metal fab guy, and he says for a little bit more money, invest in a frequency inverter. We operated one of his machines equipped with it, and what it did was allow for almost infinite adjustment of the motor speed.

He also quoted me on a brand new rotary pc 5-8 hp, for $300 cdn. Hot Damn ! I been looking at used ones for $750.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

chenzo wrote:I'm not an expert on how to properly size a phase converter, but at mininmum I think you need to run a rotary pc.

I actually met today with our local metal fab guy, and he says for a little bit more money, invest in a frequency inverter. We operated one of his machines equipped with it, and what it did was allow for almost infinite adjustment of the motor speed.

He also quoted me on a brand new rotary pc 5-8 hp, for $300 cdn. Hot Damn ! I been looking at used ones for $750.
I spoke with Montana office and they suggested 3hp. Phoenix selling 3hp for $285. $300 for 5--8 hp sounds really good. How much for 3--5 hp?

frequency inverter==> very interesting idea. Realistically can be added later. I would love to have feed motor running at different speeds
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Why are you not just rewiring this to run single phase? Talk to idris.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Find a local electric motor rebuild shop and trade it in.
You'll get a pretty good price for your motor then buy a single phase 220v motor.
Will probably cost less than the conversion. And way less hassle.
Rewiring or phase convertor will work but it sounds like it's over your head (No offense)
Finding the right start capacitor may be a bit of a challenge if you do decide to try the rewire.
Three phase motors will continue to run if they drop a leg. Not good for the motor and they wont start with just 2 legs.
My advice, don't dick around with, it just trade it for what you need.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

thank you everybody for your great input.
I decide to go with phase converter. if I have better knowledge for electrical stuff would build one.
I done little bit of research found diagrams looks like straightforward and easy to follow. From all diagrams founded online this one simplest one

http://www.arco-electric.com/PDFs/RotoP ... 112005.pdf

for the most part phase converters I found an average price for 3 hp unit starting at $300 not including shipping.

on subject of replacing motors for single phase of course it doable if to find main monitor right size. Also I'm not really sure it is possible to find replacement motor for feed rollers because they are not direct drive they are connected to gear reduction boxes. Most likely overall this route cheaper. Personally I don't see whole lot of sense in this direction
[/u]
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

after doing a research and speaking with people decided to go with variable frequency drive instead of phase converter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIABLE-FREQUE ... 33624d9dd5

it's cheaper smaller and probably more effective or efficient since there is no second motor running. Also VFD add soft start which good for the motors and variable speed. Maybe in the future will add second VFD to control speed for feed motors
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

My sender will be located in unheated garage. Water with coolant concentrate not going to work too well in the winter and I don't really want to drain it every time sender used.

how about to use windshield washer fluid instead of water to make
emulsion mix with concentrate?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

MadRussian wrote:after doing a research and speaking with people decided to go with variable frequency drive instead of phase converter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIABLE-FREQUE ... 33624d9dd5

it's cheaper smaller and probably more effective or efficient since there is no second motor running. Also VFD add soft start which good for the motors and variable speed. Maybe in the future will add second VFD to control speed for feed motors
Smart. Should work splendidly
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Time to make up date.
Finally got around to play the electrician. Frequency drive from eBay in the link above don't work as phase converter. it only work three phase input and three-phase output and did not work as a single phase input and three-phase output. Since I took long time after purchase to try it return is impossible. Decided go low-tech instead of buying another frequency drive, this time from reputable place (one of those would cost upwards of $350) I bought capacitor panel and build phase converter with my own motor. This time work flawlessly :D. now am proud owner of WORKING base sander 8)

also because machine is located in unheated garage I used windshield washer fluid instead of water to mix with cooling concentrate. Work without problem

bottom line: frequency drive is a way to go to run three-phase equipment. In the same time a Rotary phase converter is cheaper low-tech and don't require any program.
Cheapest way to do it, if you electrically challenged like me, to buy a panel and find locally three-phase motor for idler for motor this way you save big bucks on shipping. If you can do your own electrical work build one would be even cheaper
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Or buy a $100 single phase motor from harbor freight :)