belt grinder NEED advice

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

belt grinder NEED advice

Post by MadRussian »

Someone locally selling old Montana Belt grinder with two 6"belts, possibly in working conditions. Need some advise what to look for when I go to check it out.

6"belts wide enough for nowadays skis?

Any advice

Of course right now I don't really need it, but for the price I will keep it for the future
Last edited by MadRussian on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricW

Post by EricW »

Well, like anything, try to start it up and see what happens. If it doesn't start and you're electrically savvy, try to find where the problem is and how much it'll take to fix.

Motors on stuff like that are probably expensive. I'm looking at about $1000 or more to buy just parts to build one.

Make sure the axles the wheels run on are straight don't wobble.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

First check the power supply. Single phase 220 or three phase. Converters are not cheap even if you build one. Width depends on the ski size, If yoour ski is no wider than 6" you would be okay.
ra
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Looks to be in pretty good shape (assuming its mechanically sound). Mine was a disaster when I got it and required an entire rebuild/restoration (I have a good thread on here all about it).

If it's three phase pass on it, unless you want to get a new motor for it. The autofeeds look really nice (I just made an autofeed for my grinder)

Don't worry about new belts, there are a few places online to get belts made to any size for very cheap (I get mine through Econoway). Mine uses 8" wide belts, 80" hoop length, and its like $15 for a ceramic belt.

Does it come with any binding bridges? (I'm looking for one)
Damon

Post by Damon »

6" will let you run 150mm at the widest skis. Wide enough for most, but not all.

Sean - you built an autofeed from scratch, but looking to buy a bridge? come on man!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Damon wrote: Sean - you built an autofeed from scratch, but looking to buy a bridge? come on man!
Haha. Well... I did actually make a bridge this past weekend, and it works ok... but not great. I'm going to make a new one with shallower ramps (my ramps were too steep and my motor isn't powerful enough). But if I could just find a real one to buy, I could get back to actual ski making, instead of ski-tool-making! :)
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Twiz,
Contact me through pm. I have about six or eight that are either plastic or Glass. Most are winterstieger brand.
ra
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

rockaukum wrote:First check the power supply. Single phase 220 or three phase. Converters are not cheap even if you build one. Width depends on the ski size, If yoour ski is no wider than 6" you would be okay.
ra

I was told currently 3 phase 220, but machine European and can be easily wired to single face with simple switch replacement . Not sure how much it's true I am not electrician.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

MadRussian wrote: I was told currently 3 phase 220, but machine European and can be easily wired to single face with simple switch replacement . Not sure how much it's true I am not electrician.
electrical fail.

3 phase is 3 phase, unless you run it through a converter. you can usually go 120-->220 and vice versa by changing the wiring (of a single phase motor).
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Three phase converters. I got min at Phoenix rotary phase converter (texas I think). Three phase motors are usually very strong motors.
ra
jeff@shaggys

Post by jeff@shaggys »

Those older Montana's are beasts, built out of 1/4" plate. They are (at least ours are) 220v 3 phase and the motors won't start without 3 phase service or a converter. Check craigslist for converters, some pretty good deals out there now.

Get it, you won't be disappointed.
skishaggys.com
Idris

Post by Idris »

I have one of these grinders (well an older model)

Yes they will run on single phase, but single phase 220V
You need to rewire in Delta (if the motor is wired star) with a Capacitor across one of the phases.

It will have almost no starting torque, but once it's up to speed it will run fine
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Twizzstyle,
Here are the bridges.
ra
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

update to this old thread.
Back in 2010 I missed this grinder. While I was thinking somebody snatch it from under my nose. Later on I met the guy under different circumstances. Last week unexpectedly he called ....and I got the machine. Unfortunately price was bit higher from two years ago but small price to pay for lesson learned: If you find something you going to need for a great price don't think shoot first ask questions later.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Wow that is an awesome machine, congrats!! If you need new belts, I get mine from Econoway abrasives. Pretty cheap for any custom size you need.