Section8 Cheetahs-Dachshunds

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Put bindings on the Cheetahs skis tonight, flat filed, sharpened edges, hotwax them. Cheetah skis are done. My daughter saw them this weekend before I put bindings on , quote " Those are the sickest skis I've ever seen!" I guess she likes them :)

Pressed the dachshund skis friday night. I didn't use the new aluminum I got for the new cassette. It was too long for these skis (152cm). So I used the hardboard again (ugh) but this time I put some aluminum flashing underneath the tip area. That helped eliminate the edge fall. If I used 2 sheets of flashing it probably would have worked even better but, I was unsure. The edge fall was very minor this time. Cleaned them up on sunday. They came out good. A couple wrinkles in the top sheet but not too bad. Good edge fit.

I'll post more pics when they are done.

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Nice job.
My buddy has access to a slip roller and we rolled our base/edge prior to layup and we had excellent results.
I think a 18ga al instead of the 16ga we use would help to smooth compression.
OAC

Post by OAC »

Very good!
No text? Now is the show time we all dream of! :D
skidesmond wrote: My daughter saw them this weekend before I put bindings on , quote " Those are the sickest skis I've ever seen!" I guess she likes them :)
You never know these days? Do you? :D
(I mean the young ones language)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

OAC wrote:Very good!
No text? Now is the show time we all dream of! :D
skidesmond wrote: My daughter saw them this weekend before I put bindings on , quote " Those are the sickest skis I've ever seen!" I guess she likes them :)
You never know these days? Do you? :D
(I mean the young ones language)
They text me all the time. Drives me nuts. I can't text for sh!t... I have an old phone, always gave them the phone upgrades.

MM- Thanks for the tip. My next pair of skis will be for me, a GS racing ski. Debating full wrap tip or not. Seems I had less edge fall, but a real pain to bend. I have plenty of leftover edge pieces to practice on....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Dachshunds are done.

Slight edge fall but not too bad...

Need to do some minor cleanup. I'll post the build details once I get all the stats together for both skis.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Great work SD - can someone ask SB store to stock 'cheetah' pattern? It's a shame I'm not in the US - I'd bend your edges!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I should press my next pair tomorrow, I'll take pictures to show you how I pre-bend my edges, very easy and quite effective. I'm not sure I could explain it without pictures...
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

ben_mtl wrote:I should press my next pair tomorrow, I'll take pictures to show you how I pre-bend my edges, very easy and quite effective. I'm not sure I could explain it without pictures...

That would be much appreciated!
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

So, here are a couple pics :
As you can see I basically clamp the end of my edges between 2 wooden sticks, then I "roll" the part I want to bend around a cardboard tube. Doing so I bend both the base end the edges and I had no issue with edges breaking loose off the bases.
It's not a perfect fit to the cassette or the tip/tail mold, usually I slightly overbend it and the press takes care of the final shape. Works pretty well for me and it's quite fast to do.

The acetone is just used to clean the cassette and my scrapers...
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks! I'll give that a try on my next pair. Do you use tip spacers or full wood core?
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

I now use full tip spacers over the last 10 or so cm in tip and tail.
vinman

Post by vinman »

sweet, that is a nice tip. pun intended.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com