Printing on veneers

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Heres a board I built in the last month and its direct printed to veneer with an Epson Stylus 1400 with a cis ink system.Sorry for the grainy pic it was taken using my phone.Image
Last edited by nrgboards on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

awesome! i really have to get some veneer to print on! where do you buy veneer that wide?
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

I purchased that veneer off ebay it came in a 40ft roll by 19" wide it comes out of Hayward WI and its pretty cheap and they always have some on ebay I kinda wait till I see a roll fairly cheap. I think if I remember right I paid around 40$ including shipping. It runs thru my printer great I dont even need to help it like I do with other veneers Ive used.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

That's printed on wood veneer? Unbelievable!
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Here is a test I did for a buddies board Image
Here is a pair I just built those are shovels on the right ski and the snow pile that they're stuck in on the left ski.Image
I apologize for the poor pic quality
hallvardaase

Post by hallvardaase »

Wow! I didnt expect printing on verner to be suitable for
that large and colorful graphics.

Awsome-looking board and skis. Thanks for sharing!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

What did you seal them with? And don't be sorry for the picture quality, be sorry for that BEER :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

Hahahahaha lmao I have'nt sealed them yet Im looking for good suggestions I want to spray them, was thinking of using Helmsman spar urethane but dont know how it sprays? And for the beer lol I gotta drink cheap I have three daughters!!!! :D
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Damn dude, those look phenomenal! Awesome Idea! Guess I'm ordering some veneer to try in my epson 1400. I've got a CIS as well. Best $100 ever spent :D

And for sealing, check out my ski journal thread. I seal with a coat of epoxy, then spar urethane. Looks damn good IMO.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

nrgboards wrote:Hahahahaha lmao I have'nt sealed them yet Im looking for good suggestions I want to spray them, was thinking of using Helmsman spar urethane but dont know how it sprays? And for the beer lol I gotta drink cheap I have three daughters!!!! :D
Nice catch brazen, hahah lmao. NRG I know the feeling I have 2 daughters, but I would have said, "I'm saving my money for more ski material" :D

Great boards!
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

They'll look ten times better once I topcoat and spray the sidewalls so they pop, cant see it in the crappy pic but they have neon green sidewalls and black/pink tip/tail spacers. Just beveled the sidewalls last night and when they're completely done I'll post in them in the journals section Ill take better pics too.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I'm bringing back this thread because a few people were interested about printing on veneer. Did my first full veneer print today. An ode to my old hound Benjamin.
Printed on white oak. 12x70. A few lined at the bottom. Think this was due to the weight of the veneer hanging out of the tray off the table. Next time I'll support it better.
Image[/img]
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Sweet job!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice work...the lines definitely look like a feed issue. Shouldn't be a problem if you take the load of having to hold the veneer in the right place off of the printer.
rockinB

Post by rockinB »

Does anyone still have the hack for banner printing on the Epson 1400? The link in the dahmer photography is now dead and I'm hoping someone here may have the file saved somewhere. I'm thinking of purchasing the printer for veneer printing but don't want to waste the money if I cant print with a user defined print size.