First pair Help please

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TCasselden

First pair Help please

Post by TCasselden »

Hi

Just about to build my first pair, and could do with some tips :)

having watched the video, its clear that i need some layers that do not bond to epoxy, Please could someone tell me some or a material that doesnt, and where i can go buy it from (im in the UK)?!

How much epoxy (as a estimate) will i need per pair of skis, need to order from interntet and have no clue !!!

for my first pair im going for a conventional twin tip (not going to put ABS tips or tails on it) save that for the next pair!!

any tips on lay up etc would be awesome!!

Building and desinging a press is the challenge for this weekend!1

thanks for your help

Tom
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Hey Tom, I'm new here too but it seems to me that all of these areas are covered on this forum somewhere :D . I used the search button with excellent results, these guys in here are giants!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

yeah searching will do wonders, but I'll give you some quick tips.

It's much easier if you put a topsheet down of some sort, instead of just a layer to peel off leaving an epoxy surface. You can use tons of different things for top sheets. Check out the store, be creative, etc. If you just want something to project the ski during the layup and keep epoxy off your mold, we use parchment paper. Doesn't stick to epoxy at all and can take the heat just fine.

You'll want more epoxy than you need. Its better to have extra than not enough. I can't remember how much we mix up per pair, but its on the order of 500g total I think? I honestly can't remember, just buy a gallon.

You will actually have an easier time if you get tip spacer material, rather than having the wood core go all the way to the tips. It's more difficult bending the wood into the tips, you can pre-bend the tip spacer. Others may have other opinions, but I think for a first pair it'll be easier for you.

Be prepared for mistakes. Your first pair won't turn out great, but after a few pairs things will start to click. It's a steep learning curve, but worth it.

Building the press can be the biggest challenge of the entire process. Do you have an idea of what you're going to build? This can also be the most dangerous part too, if your press isn't built right bad things can happen.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Hi Tom

Where in the Uk are you?

For skis I'd go for 1kg of resin

As for stuff that epoxy won't stick to, polythene sheet is the easiest - builders merchant or even B&Q

Have a look through Richuk's posts he is skibuilding in the uk - I'm from the Uk but hide out in Chamonix at the moment
TCasselden

Post by TCasselden »

based near brighton on south coast, but study at loughborough in the midlands

intersting commenta about tip spacers, i will look into finding material, having a bit of a chore trying to access goos sorces of materials in the UK as dont really wanna pay for delivery from the states

for the press was going to go for a one based on the skibuilders how to section, i have access to a industrial grade fabrication shop so should not be a problem...

thanks for the help :)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Hi Tom,

What kind of press are you building - one that takes a weekend will be popular :D

Searching the forum is mandatory ... don't take it the wrong way. To be honest, steering your own project is part of the fun it will save you time in the long run!

If you get stuck with finding supplies give me a shout and I'll point you in the right direction. I can send you a set of ABS tipspacers if this is the only thing stopping you using them?

Anyway, 'tips'... post photo's, it the best way of getting feedback!
TCasselden

Post by TCasselden »

hi rich

great to here from you!

i havent actually got any materials so advice would be really appreicated

i found a website called boardsupplieseurope dot com...

to build what i want i will be spending nearly 200£ + postage

where do you get you plastics from?

do you make your own cores? (also what do u use)

SOurcing edges?

also the price of epoxy resin suprised me? where have u found to be the best.??

sorry for so many questions, but as always with these new projects, want to get the best deal on the parts so any advice most welcome :)

Thanks
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

I have found Luc to be a great help with supplies, search google 'BMB skis'.

Epoxy - I'm using heat cured. You?
ABS - local, so postage of a large sheet will be too expensive. Have you seen this http://www.bpf.co.uk/Plastipedia/Polyme ... enics.aspx. Is Cannock any good to you http://www.oadbyplastics.co.uk/contact.html?

Read a few journals and let me know what kind of choices you are making.
OnDeck

Post by OnDeck »

I'd overdo the glue on your first sets; 30-40 fluid oz shoudl comfortably do it and leave you spare. If you have a fast-catalyzing epoxy, you may wnat to considor using two cups until you get comfortable with timing etc., Add harderner to one cup, use it, then add the rest to the second cup. That way you can take your time and not panic!
TCasselden

Post by TCasselden »

Decided what it is im going to make

set of twin tips, with a 122, 80, 117 profile!

going to make the template 2mm at ends and 12mm in the middle, probably from poplar

what sort of a curve should i aim for on the base, as im expecting to loose some on demould, should i over compensate?

what sort of valves are people using on their fire hose? not sure im 100% happy with mine, where can you buy the style in the howto section from (in the uk)

thanks again

tom
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I'm using these valves...so far, not a problem at all. I've brought the press up to 120psi just to make sure, grinned the whole time )

http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/MonkeyBlog/?cat=49