OAC 2010/2011 - T&T reports

So, did they work, and how were they? Show everyone proof that your ride was a success (or even a complete failure)!

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

OAC

OAC 2010/2011 - T&T reports

Post by OAC »

First post.
Today I was out on the "slopes" with the OAC-10's. Nice to have some skiing...
To be honest the "slope" is not the perfect test arena, but they have a ski lift! Anyway, with that base I have atleast skied them. The behavior was alright. They are stable and accurate. I'm still confused/amased with the fact that my home brewed skis are softer than the regulars, you buy in the stores, but behaves on the same level like them (or better..;)). This will probably be the drive for me being a ski builder a couple more years.
I think they will best perform in a off pist environment. In pist, the will be "speed machines", not bad but it means that I need a bigger hill! So the final exam will be in Chamonix in two weeks from now! More from that adventure later.

Last edited by OAC on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

They look great! Send a report after Chamonix.
OAC

Post by OAC »

You bet!
Idris

Post by Idris »

The Grand Montets top should be open by the time you get here. Give them a 2km vertical blast. (6600ft vertical)

....Midi might have something not so scary to ski by then as well..
OAC

Post by OAC »

Owned!
I don't know if you (in english) use the word owned for express that you are supperior over someone. But it's common in young swedes vocabular. Anyway it suits for what I experince now. I'm owned by my new skis! They ski me, not the opposite! Jeez, where were this development when I needed it most, 30 years ago? These wide bastards is just taking me down the hill as nothing. Fast, stable, accurate and so on!
I'm just happy to be "owned" right now! :)
No action pictures today, but maybe tomorrow.
Last edited by OAC on Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks for the update! Envious!
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

OAC wrote:These wide bastards is just taking me down the hill as nothing. Fast, stable, accurate and so on!
AWESOME Jan!!!! It's always fun taking new skis out of the press, but actually skiing on them and having them perform well is hard to put words to. :D Great to hear!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

pnw3d?
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

A second to what twizz has said - congrats!

MM - pnw3d? Have you got the same flu that appears to be addling my mind at the moment?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Owned 2
Thanks guys! Yes - pnw3d! :)
I pushed it a little bit to far today. Since I put a lot of trust in the ski, then the binding released! What the... so I crashed and burned. And now I have swollen(!) left leg. It was a quite nasty hit. And a FOG body can't take that much any more...
:( :( :(

This is the last picture before release! No pics from the actual crash. That had to be something for you! :)

Any way

Happy new year!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

I prefer to keep my ski on all the time. I lock um down tight. I free heeled for 10 years so i a a pro wipeout artist. You have to know how to fall. Falling with the skis onis better then one on oneoff imo.
Keep it going fog.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great action shots! I hate when the ski pops off.... My bindings go to 11 (ie in reference Spinal Tap). Hope the leg is ok. FOG - Rock On!
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Congratulations! Those look awesome, glad they're all you hoped. Heal quickly and Happy New Year!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
OAC

Post by OAC »

Home safe.
There has been a couple of great days of skiing in Chamonix. Beautiful sunny days.

But it could have been more snow. All the slopes where open, but with very hard packed snow. But I'm used to ski on hard(ice) snow so no big problem there. But..a little softer shouldn't hurt. :)
They are now also "Grand Montets tested" :). I don't know if you you know about Grand Montets? But it's a looong piece of skiing. Atleast for a FOG. The skis hold all the way. That's the test. :)
The skis "OAC-10" behaved stable regardless the preparation. So far so good. But there are tendencies of feel of skiing a "door". When the snow is as hard as i was. They are 105mm under foot so no more than that for skiiing in hard piste. (IMO) I will go down too 100mm on the next pair(model). But I liked the "fat concept"! It definitely put some extra spice in the skiing!
Now I will rest a bit, the leg is still not 100%, and then start on a new project project.

I met "Idris" the other day. He's doing fine in his new workshop.

@SD: My bindings go to 12.. :) As a reference of SpinalTap you should check out "Bad News" there are clips on YT.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great pics! Love the pics w/ the skis next to the crevasses sign. Reminds of the time when skiing at St Anton I came upon a sign that said Verboten. Didn't know what it meant until I skied past it! wooo-hooo it was steep! That's when I was young and dumb. Now that I'm an card carrying FOG, I'm older and a bit less dumb ;)

It's pics like that urge me to become a ski-bum... Some day... Some day....

Rest up, Happy New Year!

btw - Bad News - HILARIOUSLY BAD, my face hurts from laughing. Will share w/ my friends back here!