STRESS

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Speechless!
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

Hyped on that Northfork Convertible Monoski. Got to check it out last week, so rad. Can't believe how light it is.
an amazing job with the convertible. So happy with how it turned out!! All I have to do is tweak my stance a little more and it will be perfect!!!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Wow, don't see much of that where I live. Any shots of the run looking back up?
doughboyshredder

far lookers left chute. It's called the pinner.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Man I need to get my butt in gear and learn the BC. I've been skiing Alpy for ~15 years or there abouts and know virtually none of the BC :(

Really awesome to hear about the splitboard.
carlito

Nice board!

Post by carlito »

firstly, nice looking board.

just built a splitboard myself. yeah, they are a lot of extra work. I had 34 inserts in mine. jeeeeesu. you really want to try to get the inside edges tight so as to minimize slip/twist while going downhill. I don't know how much difference it really makes but bumps sure show up. nice work!

I'd like to ask about how you think the layup worked out. I been considering going to a 5 oz uni carbon lengthwise. How do you find this compares to the traditional 10 oz glass? What sort of core thickness compensation did you do? Lots thicker or just a bit (mm?).

Can't see getting much out of the .25 oz kevlar. Guess it helps to fill up the spaces between the edges. (you relieving core for edges?)

pinner chute looks sweet.

later, carlito
doughboyshredder

yeah, I honestly think the kevlar is probably a waste, especially with how expensive it is. But, it sounds cool. :D And, it probably does add some impact resistance. I rabbit the sidewalls to compensate for the edges.

The carbon / glass layup is money. Awesome flex, and a significant weight savings. I normally use 17oz triax (which I believe is oriented 3.5/10/3.5, or close to that) with carbon reinforcement. This board was 9 oz glass and 5 oz carbon. I had the core at 7.7 mm in the middle tapered to 2 mm right at the widest point. The taper was done over 25 cm, so it was a real gradual taper and the board has a real smooth consistent stiff flex. I would think if it was a solid, the core could be 7.4 or so, and have the same flex, but I'm not sure. The individual skis are stiff. I also reinforced all of the inserts with 5.8 oz biax carbon, which I am sure added some stiffness.

I would like to try the same build with 6 oz bias glass, and see if that would be strong enough. I'm hesitant to go that light though.

Twizz, the alpy BC is amazing. I have only been riding back there for about 4 years, and unfortunately haven't gotten as much in as I would like to.

Having the splits now, should help, as it will cut the time to piss pass significantly. It's always so frustrating watching the skiers just cruise past us on the way out, while we are essentially relegated to the first couple knolls, unless we really want to work for it.

The lines in that pic are way out past piss pass.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Have you guys checked out Tegris? Same (really close) properties as aramid, 1/10th of the price. Bonds great. I have :) I'm just sayin'...

Do you guys think I could replace a 19oz triaxial fiberglass with an 8oz biaxial carbon fiber for the base laminate layer?
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
doughboyshredder

I'll have to check out tegris. Thanks for the tip.

AFAIK carbon can be used at roughly 1/3rd the weight of glass for the same strength. So, in that regard I would say yes, however the composition of the weave will definitely affect how the board feels flex wise. If the biax carbon is 4/4 compared to say 4.5/10/4.5 in the glass then the board with the biax carbon would be a lot stiffer laterally, prolly about the same longitudinally, but not have anywhere near the same stiffness torsionally. But, as far as strength in regards to breakage the carbon would be stronger. At least that's how I understand it.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Finally got the new cutter to behave, this is the first core (base) after wrestling with this machine for 5 weeks. You just can't imagine...

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... planed.jpg
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
BCCB

Post by BCCB »

doughboyshredder wrote:Image Image

Board turned out so nice. Minor middle edge alignment issue, which was resolved with delicate sanding of the edge. Flex pattern was perfect. I feel like I really nailed the right mix of core thickness, glass, cf, and kevlar.

Not sure how much the kevlar is actually helping out though. I am using .25oz kevlar mat directly above the base and below the top sheet. Minor increase in strength, my thought is that it strengthens the base and top sheet from impact damage. ???

Reports came back today from this guy:

that the board absolutely rips. Performs better than expected on the uphill and downhill.

166 with 128 cm of effective edge. De-cambered tip and tail. About 6 mm of camber directly underfoot.
Thats Sick! Nice job!

BCCB