Skibuilding with a reduced budget

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Richardkar

Skibuilding with a reduced budget

Post by Richardkar »

So, i've been reading in these forums for quite a while now and figuerd it was time to post my own progress!

It all started a year ago, september 2009 actually, I was out running and as usual thinking of the upcomming winter and skiing. It suddenly appeared to me that why not try to build my own skis? When I got home I switched on my computer and searched google. The first thing comming up was skibuilders.com. And I had no idea that this site even existed before. I thought that this must be one of the best accidental occurrence of my life! Every info I needed in one site, fabulous!

First of all I'll have to thank everybody for a great site and a special thank to OAC who have helped me out with the core and some other tricky stuff! :)

Off to the budget then. My economic situation isn't the best since I'm studying and got some other projects aswell. My goal was to keep it as simple as possible and I can't say that I failed! I've saved every receipt from everything I've bought for the project and my calculation gave me a result of about 7000 swedish crowns, which is about 1000usd today. And I got material for three more pairs!!! (maybe I need to buy some extra epoxy, but whatever)

The buiding:

Press

My press is a clamp style press with firehose and cat-track (inspired by schoeckl(name?)) Instead of using a compressor I filled it up with water.
I figuered it was a lot cheaper to do it that way(pretty safe too).
Unfortunately I lost my camera in Italy last year and it had all pictures of the progress so far :( Anyway, here's some images from the press progress after.

The top and bottom mold together

(Success! After an hour I finally found out how to post pictures!)

The press is made for one ski only so it's pretty narrow, (15cm)

It's made for pressing rocker skis, but I started off building a mold for low-profile rocker.

The mold is made of one single mdf board, 12mm thick. Cant remeber the other dimensions but it was about 2440mm x 1220mm (something like that).

Added two clamps and ran a test.

Closer pictures of the tip/tail section of the press.

The test was OK but to be sure I added two more clamps for more pressure.

Material:

Got a package from skibuilders

Started to cut the base material and put the edges on with some super glue

Some triax

Cutting

The finished core with spacers

As you can see I did a "minor" failure when drilling for the binding inserts ;) I drew, for some reason, the lines on the core the wrong way round. Still can't see how I could do such an easy mistake... Fixed it by cutting the spacers in different sizes. And yes, the flex is a bit different between the skis after that faux pas... ;)

Preparing the topsheet

Pressing:

Preparing everthing before pressing

Skis in the press for 72h, (another benefit with the clamp press, I could leave it pressing for weeks if I want to. No electricity needed!)

It was kind of messy in the workspace afterwards!

Some days later, opening it up!

The ski!

The pair!

The layup:
Clear skibuilders topsheet
Triax 750g fiberglas
maple-poplar core (maple sidewalls)
Triac 750g fiberglas
Durasurf 2001 base (skibuilders)

Ski dimensions:
138-116-133
Full rocker

The finished ski

Now for the problem

For some reason the ski "turned round its own axis" (if you can say so) (check picture)

Got to figuere that out until next pair!

Read somewhere that I should ride them, and ride them hard when testing. So I did!
Brought them to St Anton last week and skied them. Unfortunately we the snow quality was the worst I've ever seen. The first days I found some pow but after that we had rain so no more powder skiing. What I found out was that they skied powder just as I could imagine, floating and surfing. Thet felt unsinkable! What suprised me most was the piste performance. When I was pressing on the edges they carved nice and big GS turns! Had some smaller delaminations but got it superglued so I don't think that there should be any more problems with that.

Finishing of with some nice mountain pics from the Austrian Alps

Questions and feedback please! :)

Happy skiing!
// Richard
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

You killed it. Nice job!
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yeah nice job! Just goes to show that a low budget press can work. St Anton... what a great place! I was there many years ago (BK - Before Kids ;) )
OAC

Post by OAC »

Perfect Richard! I've been waiting for this report..;-)
Now we can make even better cores for your next pairs!
OAC

Post by OAC »

skidesmond wrote:St Anton... what a great place! I was there many years ago (BK - Before Kids ;) )
Krazy Kanguruh - say no more...
I need to vist StA. Some day. Last time I was there was probably at the same time as you.
Richardkar

Post by Richardkar »

Thank you guys!

Skidesmond: BK, I can see why! ;)

OAC: Great! Just need to find a cnc to fix the templates for my upcoming models :) And fixed my driving licens yesterday too, which hopefully will make skibuilding a lot easier. I don't have to carry the materials (mdf-board for example which was freaking tough to get home from Kungsbacka!) on my head or on my bike anymore! :)
OAC

Post by OAC »

I have a good cnc contact now!