vacuum pump help/suggestions

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o2bjedi

vacuum pump help/suggestions

Post by o2bjedi »

So I have a old gast pump/oil circulated and it used to pull 15 inches of mercury and now it only pulls 5. i don't think the oil is circulating from the glass container. Does there need to be a medal needle in which the oil releases into the rest of the pump? It may need to be cleaned/serviced? I want to buy a newer/stronger pump but don't want to pay hundreds. Suggestions?
OAC

Post by OAC »

Change the oil. I have to do that from time to time. My pump is from 1975.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

I'll try changing the oil but I don't know that it will be able to pull my dense rubber sheet for my bladder/mold table. I have scoured the forums and topics and really don't think my pump will work. I looked at the joethewoodworker stuff and am wondering if their $300 veneer pump is worth it. I have also looked at the gast diaphragm pumps on ebay and they don't seem to have valves to connect a hose. Basically, I need a PUMP that I can hook-up a tube to my mold and pull 15 plus. I am desperate! Finding the right pump is frustrating me. I have searched many forum topics and need a simple (cheap) pump.
HELP!!!
sammer

Post by sammer »

Search vacuum pumps on ebay.
There are dozens that will work.
Or build one from a fridge compressor. For that google is your friend.

I bought one from VIOT (it was cheap) it smokes like crazy. Not really happy, they told me "it's normal".
I use vacuum pumps everyday for a living,
If I was gonna buy a new one it would be a JB eliminator.
They are quiet, don't smoke, and work great but are fairly pricey.
Two stage rotary pumps should have the oil changed every time you use them. Adds a bit to the cost but they last longer.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
hafte

Post by hafte »

WOW, i only paid $140 or so for my Joe wood worked setup. In pinch you can use a vacuum cleaner. I know of a guy that made surf boards that way. He would go and get user vacuum cleaners at teh pawn shops and use them until they would burn out.

A good combo would be to get the gear to make a vacuum clamber from Joe wood worker and use a fridge pump as mentioned or the vacuum cleaner. The chamber will keep the pump from running all the time during the cure.

I found a AC vacuum pump at the pawn shop for $90 and connected that to the vacuum chamber to keep it from running all the time and smoking me out.

If I remember right the most expensive part of my system was the PVC pipe for the chamber.

Hafte
Jibber

Post by Jibber »

I would prefer an oil-free pump (=maintenance free). Search Ebay for Thomas, Becker or KNF Neuberger. I bought a used KNF for around 50€ on Ebay and the pump works perfect. I let it run over night if I press a kiteboard.

Cheers, Christoph
Huck Pitueee

Automotive vac assist for pump

Post by Huck Pitueee »

I've used an automotive vaccum assist pump for 10 years.It uses a diaphram so you dont have oil in the system.It's also quiet and weighs about 6 lbs. Cost 50 bucks used.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

pipe it to the intake of your car ;)
Doug
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

Nice suggestion knights! I got the pump up to 15 inches. I stripped it apart and cleaned it up-a whole lot of fuss for nothing! Maybe i'll upgrade in the future.
Drew

Post by Drew »

OAC

Post by OAC »

Notice that it's a Venturi type. Which means that you need a compressor to get an air flow.
Besides that it will work.
Disclaimer: I have never used one my self, but I know people who has. :)