Ski press and moulds done.

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TCasselden

Ski press and moulds done.

Post by TCasselden »

finally got my 1 ski press finished! just need to shorten the fire hose (its a little long).

Got to make a 'catrack' then start to profile cores.

im struggling to understand how a 'planer crib' works - trying to get my hands on a thicknesser but after reading some posts on here im confused?

once i have some cores sorted (probably all poplar) with tip spacers, can get the first pair laid up!!

here are some pictures of the press http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z423/Tcasselden/

any tips or comments greatly received! - some advice on good sources of poplar or bamboo for the UK if anybody knows some would be helpful too!

thanks

tom
EricW

Post by EricW »

Basically the planer pushes the blank into the shape of the crib as it goes through.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Nice press! Pretty narrow, but definitely workable.

On the core planing... when using a planer, you are effectively cutting a flat face on a warped board (the core is mushed into the crib shape and cut flat) so when it relaxes it ends up with a reverse profile as the crib. I was confused at first too, but it works like magic.
TCasselden

Post by TCasselden »

oh right, so the planer crib is just a female mould, then the thicknesser rollers force the material into the mould and cut a flat surface across the top? leaving the finished profiles bowed the wrong way, but the pressure when pressing pushes them into shape!

simple i suppose!