911 core/sidewall help

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

911 core/sidewall help

Post by vinman »

So I WAS on track to press today. But now I'm hung up with cores+ sidewalls that are about .5-1mm to narrow This is probably as a result of the extra sanding I had to do due my poor band saw technique/low band tension.

SO now I'm in a quandary. Do I rip one sidewall off each pair and add a thin maple stringer and then rebond that one sidewall? OR do I rip off all 4 Ptex sidewalls and go with hard tiger maple sidewalls instead?

I'm leaning towards the wood sidewalls but I'm not sure how much damage I'm going to do to the core when I rip the SWs off.

HELP!!!!
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Just add water : )

Wipe the core top and bottom with a damp cloth - do this several times. You may get the result you need.

When dealing with fine tolerance, a change in humidity can affect the core. Has your core been subject to changes in temp?

Hope this helps!
vinman

Post by vinman »

yes, it could have shrunk. It has been in my shop which is only heated when I'm working. But I really think it was the extra sanding. I ripped the p-tex SWs off and ripped some new wider wood sidewalls.

BTW the PU glue did a decent job of bonding but I was able to rip them off with some effort without damaging the wood core.
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

Yep - sounds like the sanding. Good luck with the rest of the process - sounds like you are on top of it : )
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You should be adding 1/4 or so total for slop. Give yourself an 1/8 inch on each side for the first few pairs. Virtually every time I make a shape it ends up being a tad fatter then I planned so help yourself out and don't make the tolerances a gnats ass and will be much happier.
We don't have pro setups. Easy to cut it off then add it when you need it unless you are using all wood, like me then its easier.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Rip 'em up the middle and add your stinger there.
Don't need to dick around with your side walls and gluing thin strips.

just a thought

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

If you are making more than one at a time, its worth thinkin about using an mdf template. Use a trim bit with a bearing against the template and hey presto!
vinman

Post by vinman »

I though about ripping them up the middle but was worried the thin tip might shatter in the saw. The first fixed core came out good with the wooden sidewalls. Gluing the second tonight. re-profiling tomorrow and maybe pressing tomorrow or Thursday. Fingers crossed.

The wooden sidewalls are tiger maple. I had this 1x8x5 plank given to me given to me. super hard and very pretty wood. They should look nice if everthing goes well. I only had to trim about 3/8 of an inch of the lenght of this plank for them to fit the lenght of my sidewall.