22oz triax, not all the same, not even close

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I dont know how FBS's glass, which they stated is V2, would compare, I wont use it, the strands are so thick, and so loosely packed, and the stitching is so big and pronounced, that its all going to translate thru my board and look like hell when finished. The stuff I got from other V2 suppliers was even worse.

I'd build a board with the samples i got just to be curious, but I just dont want to waste all the other stuff I have to do so. It probably builds stuff with good properties, just wont be as asthetically pleasing as what I have.
Doug
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I dont' have any problems visually with the FSB stuff. You have to look extremely hard to see any of the threading/stitching or strands.

Sent you a PM though.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

"Unfortunately, OCV Technical Fabrics no longer makes the CDB200. This was a product from the New Braunfels facility which closed in 2008."

Just received that from Rob, the Key Accounts manager at Owens Corning.
grace ski

fiberglass

Post by grace ski »

Fiberglass Industries:

SXTW2200 Tri axial stitched

I spoke with Buddy Claypool
grace ski

fiberglass

Post by grace ski »

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Doug. Have you thought about going to a lighter triaxial and using a really tight, very light biaxial as a "veil" to stop the impression instead of trying to find something that no longer exists? I'm just sayin'...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Brazen wrote:Doug. Have you thought about going to a lighter triaxial and using a really tight, very light biaxial as a "veil" to stop the impression instead of trying to find something that no longer exists? I'm just sayin'...
uh oh, giving ideas to your competitors?
Are you off the sauce these days?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

hahahahhaha shut up :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

hahhaa, thanks everyone for the help and ideas. We'll get somethin good no doubt.
Doug
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

Brazen yea good tip, i've thought about it... but our current formula is working so good, I'm scared to deviate from it. I'm thinking probably vectorply 22oz is going to be the closest thing if not identical, it's just $$$$, but you get what you pay for ;)
Doug
falls

Post by falls »

steer this one in a new direction....

22oz triax - 746gsm (1oz/sq yard = 33.9gsm)

The stuff I use is 283gsm in the 0 degree, 230gsm in each of +-45 degrees, and minimal 6.8gsm in the 90 degree for stitching it all together.
So that makes it 38% 0 degree, and 31% in each +/-45 degree.

Is this standard? Anyone's different to this greatly?
Last edited by falls on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
falls

Post by falls »

FYI:
I just looked up Vectorply E-TLX 2200, which I imagine a lot of builders/pros use.

Roll Specifications
Width: 50in / 1270mm Roll weight: 220lb/100 kg roll length: 106 yd / 97 m
Fiber Architecture Data:
0 ° = 12.80 oz/sq.yd / 434 g/sq.m
45° = 5.38oz/sq.yd/182g/sq.m
-45° = 5.38 oz/sq.yd / 182 g/sq.m

So that's 54.4% 0 degree and 22.8% in each of +/- 45 degrees, which is a fair difference to what I am using. My skis must have extra torsional stiffness, but need more core thickness to make up for the reduction in longitudinal fibres.

Do you think there is a sweet spot in these %, or is it all good?

PS. Nice discussion on their web page about why stitched glass (non crimp) is better than woven glass. It's interesting in some of the kingswood skis pics/videos they use some woven glass.
link
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I got a sample of E-TLX 2200, was actually a huge sample... I love how if i wanted to be cheap, i could keep this venture afloat just by using up the sample materials I have. LOL.

Anyway, the E-TLX, once cured in a board, is very similar to the properties I've been shooting for. However in its stored or un-used rolled up state or whatever, it's super flimsy, it pulls apart and frays super easy. Its harder to cut and work with.

In other news, I've finally found the glass I've been searching for, it was a V2 off the shelf product that they no longer make due to changes in their machinery. They claim to be able to match it with new products. When I find out I'll post more because I may need help with a group buy or something, they usually only sell to distributors. We might have to become one ;), it'd be worth it just to get you all this wonderful triax :)
Doug
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

Hey MontuckyMadman,

I believe I sold you a roll of triax last year, this is the only brand I ever used and still use it (bought 20+ rolls from a local builder) so I don't know if it's actually a good product or not. How would you rate it compared to the other triax you got an hand on ?
I personnaly don't have any problem using it but as I told, I've never tried anything else..

Thanks !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...