The bangers & mash

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hose-man

The bangers & mash

Post by hose-man »

Kelvin.... Great looking skis. Looking forward to seeing the dimensions & the intended use/improvement description!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

these skis are amazing. they skied great:

http://www.skibuilders.com/gallery/bangers.shtml
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Not made in China.
Made by chinese.
Broke in on China Mtn.

I love it !

I'd be interested to hear you comments on a couple of things.....

Can you appreciate any performance improvement from the addition of carbon fiber? Was it a bi-axial mat?

I noticed that you didn't bother with ABS side walls. My assumption is that since ski dimensions and construction techniques are a work in progress and the skis aren't getting enough skier days to warrant the extra time and expense of the ABS or UHMW sidewall. Will you be using the plastic sidewalls in the future?
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

We've made a bunch of skis with wood (maple and poplar) sidewalls and they hold up really well. I tend to ski with my feet too close together and the insides of my skis get beat up as a result. The wood sidewalls have taken a beating and they don't look much worse than the skis with abs sides. If you want them to last years and years, I would varnish/seal them every so often and make sure you dry them after use. Bottom line: They are much quicker to make and seem to be durable.

-kelvin
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

hose-man.

we used the CF to stiffen the ski. the core thickness was 10.5mm underfoot. some of our other skis of the same shape had slightly thicker cores, between 11-12.5mm. by adding the CF, we were able to reduce the wood core thickness slightly. to be honest for the Bangers, a core thickness of 10mm would have been more ideal, but they are amazingly fun to ski. the 25m radius sidecut makes then very versatile.

the CF fibers were only in one direction...along the length of the ski.
Skivolkl

Bangers and Mash

Post by Skivolkl »

In your opinion do you prefer the carbon fiber or titinal for extra snap/reinforcement. What are the advantages of each? Maybe I missed this earlier, but did you use carbon fiber tape (i.e. 2 inch width) or did you trim a larger roll of carbon fiber to your dimensions.
Skivolkl

Bangers and Mash

Post by Skivolkl »

By the way I love the solid color graphics.
e

Post by e »

Titanal doesn't really add pop, it works more in dampening or smoothing out the ride. I use it on my highest end boards & results have been great. You have to be careful how much you use though or you'll have a really smooth ride with no pop. I use carbon to add pop, but for the big mtn/hard charging ride I go without the carbon
e