QCM Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

QCM Epoxy

Post by skidesmond »

I received a letter today from QCM stating they are moving away from the epoxy business. From QCM, "Greg Ankofski, a former QCM employee will continue to be involved with that business".... The letter gives Gregs' cell phone number, (503) 680-3132.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

Did they provide any other info? Are they still shipping stuff now? Maybe some closeouts?

:(

I really did not want to have to change epoxy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It says they are focusing on the textile industry and environmentally friendly inks. They are looking for someone to continue to produce their epoxy/hardeners and they do have a short term supply.

I've never used any other epoxies.....
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I got the letter too :( Major bummer, they're local to me so I don't have to deal with shipping, I can just pick the epoxy up.

My main worry is that QCM is very good about small orders, and selling to us, the hobbyists. I worry that a new company might not be as willing to sell small orders, or deal with non-commercial business. Fingers-crossed, this might put a huge damper on this hobby (yes, there are other epoxy options, but their's are proven)
Sherpa Burns

epoxies

Post by Sherpa Burns »

Is anyone using Entropy? I have not tried them, but it sounds like they have a good product. Last I heard they required large orders which would really be a bummer for me since I am not doing this commercially.
twizzstyle

Re: epoxies

Post by twizzstyle »

Sherpa Burns wrote:Is anyone using Entropy? I have not tried them, but it sounds like they have a good product. Last I heard they required large orders which would really be a bummer for me since I am not doing this commercially.
It looks like they're back to small quantities again, but it's not cheap. I still want to try it out.

http://www.entropyresins.com/products/super-sap-1001000
Sherpa Burns

qcm is out of emv-0043

Post by Sherpa Burns »

Just called to see if I could buy up what they have and whoever answered was not friendly. I'm always amazed when someone is ungrateful and not willing to help when I am wanting to give them money.

On another note, I checked with Entropy and is looks like the ideal product for us is their SuperSap CPM (compression + heat), but we have to buy 5 gallons at a time.

You can get smaller quantities of there 100/1000 system, but I would want to see how tough that stuff really is. The data sheet shows room cure at 7 days......
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

You called QCM? They've always been very friendly and helpful. I was going to order some resin this week too. Wonder if they've had a shake-up at the company .... setting people on edge. We just had one, sucks. Anyhow, I've been wanting to try Entropy also but 5 gallons at this point is too much for me.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Entropy has a few small kits of the heat cure stuff. They had 24 kits 6 months ago. Call and ask for desi, but anyone can help.
Works great, very tough and stiff and does not soften or loose camber at all basically.
It still gives off toxic fumes when it heat cures but not until then and doesn't irritate your skin and is very easy to clean up with denatured alcohol.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I've always used QCM and that letter really bummed me out. Oh well, I've been curious to try others and now I have no excuses.
Resin Research epoxy looks interesting, anybody care to comment on their products? How well does their epoxy handle the cold temps, do your skis stay together, physically not skiing technique? ;)
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Dam. Me too. I was just sick when I got this letter I was literally placing an order this week. Blah.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

I used the entropy supersap 100/1000 w/ top and bottom heat on my last pair. I was too late in the season to test them, though I did flex the shit out of them, and no noticeable problems.

Desi from Entropy posted a while back concerning the removal of their heated resin from small quantity availability.

viewtopic.php?t=2375&start=30
~ Matt
sammer

Post by sammer »

I'd better order some quick as I still have 1/2 gallon of hardener.
2 gallons of epoxy getting ordered tomorrow I guess.
I never got a letter :? So thanks for the heads up.
Bummer though, I really liked the service.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

I got the letter today as well. Hopefully someone will take over production for them. In the mean time, I am going to order what I can.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

sicomin has a wide range of epoxies that work really well and aren't that expensive. i'm using their SR8500 / SZ8525 heat curing combo and i love it! i've ordered some of the entropy super sap cpm stuff as my next batch though.