vds rubber

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

broskier

vds rubber

Post by broskier »

Where do you guys get your rubber that goes on the edges for dampening? Also do you get your glass and other composites through Vectorply?
thanks
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

You can get rubber strips from Lindsay at snowboardmaterials.com.

You can also get rubber (in strips and in sheets) from McMaster or probably from an arts and crafts store.

I bought my fiberglass and epoxy from Revchem, which is a supplier in California. But they require you to buy their fiberglass in bulk (150 lbs. worth). I highly recommend them because of their good customer service and of their prices. Revchem provides supplies for a few local snowboard and skateboard companies also.

However, if you want smaller quantities, your best bet is to try your local marine/boat supplier. They should carry the right kind of fiberglass along with epoxy that is appropriate for the job.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
kurtgross

vds rubber

Post by kurtgross »

McMaster has a lot of rubber from which to choose. Durometers range from 30A to 80A and thickness ranges from 1/32" to 1/2".

What DUROMETER is best for vibration damping needed in a ski? What THICKNESS is best? What WIDTH is best?
kurtgross

vds rubber

Post by kurtgross »

After speaking with BigKam, here are answers to my questions about vibration damping strips:

Since the rubber strips absorb shear stress and prevent delamination as well as reduce chatter, they need to surround the entire perimeter of the ski.

DUROMETER should be ~60 Shore A, THICKNESS should be "one and a half sheets of paper" (ie: as thin as possible), and WIDTH should be 1" or wider.

Plugging these parameters into McMaster-Carr's product search engine, it seems that Part Number: 9013K472 (ULTRA-STRENGTH NEOPRENE RUBBER) is a likely candidate for vibration damping strips.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

SpecialK: have you ordered the McMaster stuff yet? i'm curious if it even works.

oh, i was at HomeDepot today and noticed in the plumbing section for sale 40-mil thick PVC sheets. it felt rubbery. 40-mil might be thick, but it could work for tip and tail dampers. with some sanding i bet it will stick okay to epoxy.
noggs

VDS barrier between edge teeth and the fiberglass??

Post by noggs »

When you add the VDS right on top of the edges and the base does it cover the gap between the edge teeth so that no fiberglass gets in that space between the edge teeth undeneath the VDS? It seems like only epoxy would be able to seep in that gap and make things heavy. I read from others that VDS increases the bond between fiberglass and edge but shouldn't there be fiberglass in between the edge teeth for strength and to soak up epoxy?

thanks!
kwetsor

Post by kwetsor »

This reply after using the search engine on "rubber thickness"....
No answer to my question ...What is the thickness of the so called VDS rubber on the edges ?
Somebody tells about 0.025" (1.4 mm!) This seems very heavy from my point of view. Or someone tells the half of the quarter of a thin paper sheet :?

Does anyboby have tried some adhesive testing with epoxy before using directly this rubber ?
I should bet that VDS rubber for snowboard or ski manufacturing should also be treated for good bonding properties with epoxy ...

Anyone can help ?
endre

Post by endre »

the rubber i use is 0,3mm.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Mine is .009inch or 2.5mm. I haven't done any bond tests on VDS.

G-man
endre

Post by endre »

2,5mm?!! shure you got that right G-man? that's as thick as the steel edge.
tonyt

Post by tonyt »

endre wrote:2,5mm?!! shure you got that right G-man? that's as thick as the steel edge.
I think it is 0.25mm 0.009"=0.25mm
endre

Post by endre »

Thanks tonyt, inches scare me.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

funny.. thats what my GF says.. or was it millimeters...

I can do temps no prob.. but weights and distance.. ugh..
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Yep, got my darn decimal point in the wrong spot... hadn't had my granola yet. :D

Thanks, guys, for fixing it for me.

G-man
kwetsor

Post by kwetsor »

Many thanks for your answers about VDS.
Now ... I just have to find someone in EU to buy some.

I have some rubber sheet about 0.8mm. Definitely too thick on the edges, regarding your answer. I'm also not confident in the bonding properties of this rubber sheet. One of my ski has delaminated at the front tips when using 0.8mm rubber sheet (only located at tips). By the way, it seems that almost everybody have that kind of concern.
Riveting seems to be the best way to deal with tip delam.

But what about "ounce" or "oz" versus "kilogram"
I only remember that "a quarter pound with cheese (US) = a royal with cheese (EU)" :)