Bending base with edges

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi falls,

I guess you are talking about my picture that shows the base and edges ready for layup.

I haven't noticed any problems so far. As the base parts screwed down on the mould are connected to the base/edges with a very thin tape (the one that is used for packages) it should allow a little little bit of movement. But for the next layup, I might just tape these base parts to the mould, this always allows some movement.
In my case, I heat up very slowly (having a heat box, not blankets - might chance someday), I need about 3 hours to get to the 60°C final pressing temperature. So Materials have a lot of time to unstress.

But the idea of just using spray adhesive is nice, I might give it a try. The only doubt I have is if it releases well. Thats the good thing with the screws :)

Regarding the original discussion again (vertical pre-bend):
Why only doing it roughly when very good results can be achieved without much effort? The result you can see in my pictures took 15 minutes at most for both skis. When using full tipspacers (no wood in the last 15 or so cm of the tip) they can also be pre-bent - then the tip will 100% keep the shape of the mould. Predictable results are nice, aren't they?
falls

Post by falls »

The people who had trouble had metal supports riveted to the aluminium cassette that held the bases in place and were heating with silicone blankets. Sounds like your setup is going fine.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....