VDS group buy? north america

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

VDS group buy? north america

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You can get rolls on the 1" here in NA but if you want the wide stuff you have to order 3000 meters I think.
How bout some perforated or 2mm vds or an order on the wide stuff?
Prolly take them a year, haha

Anyone find a suitable alternative other than this magical cdw/haberkrom stuff?
Really thin vucanized rubber?
Or I would like to try the 2mm vulcanized rubber sheet like in allot of rossies stuff.
Praxis talked about a perforated VDS in the binding area.

One of the scc guys even took it to a rubber manf. in detroit and they would have to build new tooling and it would cost a small country.

Someone has to make thin rubber foil like this in NA.

I bet a place in cali will make this.

Anyway group buy interest?
Ill get a price?
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
jvangelder

Post by jvangelder »

Can you ballpark a price on a length? Ive honestly never had to buy the stuff, came with some bulk material i bought a few years ago.

-Jacob
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Yeah, that sounds good. Lindsay might pick up a little of our slack too...
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
barnboy

group buy

Post by barnboy »

I'd be happy to get in on a group buy, I'm on East coast, but am still interested.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

you guys realize that if its 3000 m min and we get like 10 people well everyone's in for allot of rubber.
1 roll of 1" from cdw is 50 bucks a and that a fair amount of rubber by itself.
G-man

Post by G-man »

3000 meters divided by 10 builders equals 300 meters per builder multiplied by 13 (how many 1'' rolls you get from a 13 inch wide roll) equals 3900 lineal meters of 1 inch VDS divided by 8 meters (approx. how much goes into one pair of skis) equals 488 pair of skis.

Yep, that's a lot of VDS.

MM, I'm interested. I've been buying my VDS in the 70 meter long, 13 inch wide rolls, then slicing it into 1" wide rolls on the band saw. This works reasonbly well because the wide rolls are wrapped very tightly (still pretty tricky, though... and I have a big band saw.). If your proposed order came in as one 3000 meter long roll, it could be pretty challenging trying to come up with a way to divide the roll up into 10 parts. Maybe you already have this figured out, but it seems that splitting up that much VDS could get a little messy. However, if the supplier would package the 3000 meters in partial rolls, say 100 meters each, that would be pretty cool, and I'd be interested in 1, 2, or 3 of 'em.

I have a friend in Los Angeles who has a design company that makes really unusual stuff. Part of his business plan states that he uses only LA area, WWII era, small manufacturing shops. He says that there are all kinds of 'hole in the wall' manufacturing shops that came on the scene during that war, that are still around and still producing odd-ball stuff. I've already thought about trying to find a shop that could produce both VDS and metal ski edges. I'll be going to LA in the near future (country boy goes to the big city) to run around with my friend and check out the shops he works with. I'm hoping to find someone who knows someone who knows someone...

G-man
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Hey G I have a call into mark at cdw for pricing and availability, BUT where do you find 70 meter rolls of the wide stuff? Lindsay?
Whats the price and min order on that? That's what I am looking for.
I want to use larger sheets of this to avoid the PITA of 1" wide material tip and tail and for snowboards maybe in the future but prolly not.
I want to use more rubber in my skis but the 1" wide just doesn't seen like a good way to do it for all the layers of composite like on3p and some other guys like nordica do.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

I have a roll or two of excess VDS I might be willing to part with.

150m Long
0.2mm Thick
155mm Wide
Ask Industries Asher Sheet Black (gray)

It is a bit different material than the haberkrom stuff. Bit stiffer feeling, handling during layup is a bit different. But works the same. We used it on about 80% of our skis last year. It is about a 1/3 more expensive than the haberkrom VDS, so we've gone back to haberkrom this year.

If anyone is interested shoot me an email.
G-man

Post by G-man »

MM...

I got the wider rolls from CDW. However, I just learned that they're no longer available, secondary to not enough demand. Dang. I'll let Mark know that I'd be in for four or five rolls, if that would help to increase demand enough to warrant getting in a batch of 13 inch rolls. The price on my last order was $425 per roll.

G-man
OAC

Post by OAC »

They come in white also. I just got a roll for my transparent base.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

iggy always coming through with the critical info.
ask industries the speaker company?
http://www.askgroup.it/int/index.php?op ... &Itemid=43
if your 70 meter roll was 450 then 3000 m would be like 20K.
I cant put that together. Never heard back from mark yet.

so igg you are ordering 3000 m or they cut you a break cause ur awesome like that?

You would be the only person to find a viable alternative that I know of.
THanks.

wait wait wait OAC you got a small roll from haberkrom direct?

Hook some brothers up eh?
OAC

Post by OAC »

MontuckyMadman wrote: wait wait wait OAC you got a small roll from haberkrom direct?
Yes...
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

o here it is thanks.
http://www.ask.gr.jp/eng/asnersheet.html
im gonna corner the market and make this stuff in NA.
Film technology is a hobby of mine and totally really easy.
;)
OAC

Post by OAC »

There you go! Cool find.
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

MontuckyMadman wrote:iggy always coming through with the critical info.
ask industries the speaker company?
http://www.askgroup.it/int/index.php?op ... &Itemid=43
if your 70 meter roll was 450 then 3000 m would be like 20K.
I cant put that together. Never heard back from mark yet.

so igg you are ordering 3000 m or they cut you a break cause ur awesome like that?

You would be the only person to find a viable alternative that I know of.
THanks.

wait wait wait OAC you got a small roll from haberkrom direct?

Hook some brothers up eh?
Yeah you got it in your second post. Out of Japan. Burton is a big fan of it, and pretty sure it is the material ski builders is getting.

Not sure what the minimums are on wider stuff, can't remember but we are usually only ordering around 450-600m of it at 6" wide (we've cut the amount of 6" stuff we've been using by 2/3 since our first year, as it proved unneeded).

BUT we are ordering 15,000m+ of the thin stuff, so they might not care about minimums for the 6" stuff. Again, never had them have an issue with the order amount.

I have 1, possible 2 150m rolls at 155mm thickness we might be willing to get rid off. They cost us around $500 or so per, so would probably sell them for around $400 a piece.