New ski press and parametric ski design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Buuk

New ski press and parametric ski design

Post by Buuk »

Hi there,
I'm a newby overhere, but have big plans building my own skis.
I already designed and analysed a new press, which is cheaper and is able to withstand 8 bar (116 psi). I also designed a parametric ski design in 3D CAD program SolidWorks, which gives the ability to design a ski by just editing an Excel file. At the moment I only have a 3D model, but later also draft files will be automatically created. Click the link to view the PDF file containing some screenshots of the above.
http://www.groene-engel.com/Buuk/Screen ... ilders.pdf

Please tell me what you think about it!

Buuk
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

That's fantastic! The excel spreadsheet would be very usefull for designing skis. Care to share?

Thanks.

-kelvin
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

that looks really good. would love to see how you counter it with the pratical stage.

should post some pics of your progress when our there!

great work.
SCHÜSS 2011
tonyt

Re: New ski press and parametric ski design

Post by tonyt »

Buuk wrote:Please tell me what you think about it!
That is really nice, I guess youve linked the 3d drawing to the spreadsheet so it draws automatically as you change the parameters?

I was interested in your stress analysis on the press since the results seemed a bit odd to me. If you have a constant pressure on press and is is restrained by equally spaced bolts I would expect an almost equal deflection of the upper surface at every constraint(the bolts) except maybe the end ones which support only half the load as the others. The other thing that seemed odd was that the bottom moved differently than the top but that might be how the model is constrained. The only difference in the load between the top and the bottom should be the effect of gravity but that would be very small in relation to the big pressures.

Now you just have to add a stress analysis for the ski!!

Tony
rburgon

Post by rburgon »

Buuk,

Pretty stress/deflection plots. What FEA program do you use? What types of elements did you use for the press model?

Thank you,

rburgon
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

I use CosmosWorks for FEA. This program doesn't use element types, it creates a solid (or a surface) mesh.

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple