Figment Original taking shape!

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

looking at your profiling set up again...what kind of tool did you use in your milling machine to profile the core (especially the sidewalls)? PU has a tendency to melt when machined with the wrong tools and I'm still trying to find tools that work well with it.
FigmentOriginal

Post by FigmentOriginal »

Chris-

My planer did a really nice job with the core and sidewalls getting the base flat. I used a straight router bit for the profiling you see in the picture. The results you see are mediocre compared to another board I experimented with. I made an error machining the Aspen core that I posted pics of. I tried to take off too much material at once and the end of the board sidewall ripped off. Should be able to machine it down and reattach during layup. I need to figure out a better way of holding down the work piece. A vacuum table would be nice... Its a pain in the butt milling it manually. My mill has power feeds on both the X and Y axis but they are not under power at the moment.

Never had any issues with melting so far.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

alright, i think i'll try a straight cutting bit then :) what size bit do you use and at what rpm?
FigmentOriginal

Added 2nd PID controller to the box and added intake/outake fans to keep internals cool. Also added switches for PID power and fan power. Box is officially done!

Maybe this week I'll get the press mold done and get things moving.

FigmentOriginal

Moving forward with progress. Finally had enough of waiting around for CNC guys to get back to me so I went ahead and started making a press mold freehand. Came out well enough I suppose, well enough to get the ball rolling, er ski sliding down the hill. Looking forward to the first pressing this week! Stay tuned!!!

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Looks great! You're not going to be pressing skis with gaps under the MDF like that are you?
FigmentOriginal

I was thinking about it yes. Took it up to 60psi and it didn't seem to flex any. Seems like it might work. Plan is to take away one layer of particle board underneath and add the mold block and another sheet of MDF on top of the MDF. I've been at this so long I just want to produce something at this point. Home stretch...

Got the idea after looking at rockaukam' s press, gaps are smaller though...
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I guess do what you want... but I think you're going to get very weird-shaped bases doing that.

I bet they'll turn out convex too.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

I have tried different methods for shimming and I think 1mm cardboard is the easiest to work with. It's easy to cut and has a uniform density. It compresses about 20% so if I want 4 mm of camber I buildt it out of 5 pieces. It's a bit hard to see in the picture but I couldn't find another. The MDF on top is 16 mm.
I would definitely put something more in your gaps.

rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Have had no problems with the shims. Bases are fine.
RA
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You goin meat thermometer?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
PTTR

Post by PTTR »

Yep.
FigmentOriginal

First board made its way into the press today!

In hindsight I should have waited, I was up against the clock and rushed it. Forgot the VDS, forgot to put mold release on the top cassette, super sloppy getting it into the press. Can't stop once you start. Major learning experience...
Richuk

Post by Richuk »

The first couple of times you press are all part of the curve. Looks like you are on your way - congrats man!

If you are using heat at over 80 degrees C, MDF will let you down at some point. The AL sheet you are using appears to be around 3mm - so it will help you out for a while. You don't want the MDF to take you cassette with it, so keep an eagle eye on the issue.

The whole convex/concave thing ... It's largely to do with the type of core material and the interplay between heat and moisture during the cure.
FigmentOriginal

Couple of rough shots of a rough board. Shots are rough because I am a little embarrassed by the quality and don't want super criticism...I know what to fix, haha
Image Image

Flex feels OK in the waist, need to do some work in the tip flex profile.
Core shifted and top fiber layer partial delam in the waist. Topsheet(basematerial) fully delamed. Maybe not enough resin, cool down procedure, lack of top heat? Glad it delamed in a way since I screwed it up and cut it short leaving a little filler piece to add.
Couple of the inserts also flooded with resin, hopefully the new batch from this new supplier will be better.
2nd board ever, leaps and bounds better than the first board which is not worth posting because it was so horrid, haha.
Did a full wrap edge, 2 edges. The seam could have been a little better, but all in all the fitment was satisfactory.
Thinking about reapplying a topsheet and try and fix that delam in the process in a re-pressing.
Going to try and finish the board up and see how is rides.

3rd board is a ways away...stay tuned.