no tip spacer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ggardner90

no tip spacer

Post by ggardner90 »

have any of you guys tried to make a ski without any tip spacer? i was thinking about cutting a couple pieces of FG the same shape as tip spacer and putting that in. maybe sanding down the cores to be really thin at tip and tail so there is not an immediate end to material. just a thougt

any ideas
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've done full length wood cores tip to tail but it can be difficult to get get the tip 2-3mm thick w/o tear out unless you have a good planer. You may have to sand it down. I now use wood veneer for my tip spacers. Never tried a full FG tip spacer.
olie25

Post by olie25 »

I have been looking at doing a snowboard with no tip spacer, just tapering the core down so thin that it will fit within the edge. pretty much the same way Ride snowboards does it, if you can check one out at a store you can see how thin they are (surprisingly strong and awesome) i had an old one so i did some dissecting it pretty cool how thin they get that core, i work with a cnc so we will see if i can get it that thin and how it works. but if anyone has done something like this id love some pointers.

ill try and get some picks up of the board i ripped up!!!
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

i use a router bridge but vacum down the core during profiling so maybe i can get it that thin. does ride have the core go all the way to the tip? or does it end early
novaskis

Post by novaskis »

all of the skis i have made so far have had fiber glass tip spacers
i use matt fiberglass and cut a point into the wood core and then shape the fiberglass to match. you do have to build up a few layers but it seems to work just fine. i havent had a problem yet.