Jigsaw/bandsaw flashing blades going dull. Suggestions?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skisplat

Jigsaw/bandsaw flashing blades going dull. Suggestions?

Post by skisplat »

Does anyone have any suggestions for bandsaw or jigsaw blades for flashing the skis after they come out of the press? My problem is that all of the ones that I have tried go dull really quickly. I usually just get one pair of skis out of a bandsaw blade, or I go through 2 or 3 jigsaw blades per pair of skis while flashing.

I have tried a Bi-Metal bandsaw blade, and it was also dull after one pair. If it makes a difference, I am using a 12" Jet bandsaw with 82" blades, and a DeWalt jigsaw.

I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with carbide tipped bandsaw/ jigsaw blades.

Any recommendations would be great!
Thanks!
kylea

Post by kylea »

I was going to make this thread last week as I was having the same problem. I was looking into carbide tipped blades, but I didn't want to spend the $130 and have the same issues. We had a local company here in Salt Lake make us a 14 tpi metal blade and cut out the first pair of skis with it today. It worked very well and didn't seem to dull much. I can not yet say how many skis it will cut out for us but it will most likely be several pairs, which is a great improvement for us. The blade came out to be just under $30 after a welding fee and tax, so it is much cheaper than the carbide tipped route I was considering. I am also using a terrible 12" Craftsman bandsaw with an 80" blade, so I'm sure you will have no problems with your Jet.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

biggest nastiest gnarliest aggressive wood tooth jig saw blade and you can shim it to get more life.
Bosche makes some good ones. as far as bandsaw I heard 10tpi was the ticket.
If you are cutting carbon flash you are just screwed it destroys blades. Gets so hot so quick, especially if you are cutting wood as well.
The best course of action is to minimize the flash with wood at the thickest part and the blades will buzz through most composites, its when they are together that the blade gets super hot and dulls fast.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

I use both a bandsaw and jigsaw. MontuckyMadman is right, the 10 tpi works well. For the jigsaw, I can get one pair of skis using just one Bosch 118B blade (14-Tooth). The trick of course for longer life is to try to keep the blade cool.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I found that letting the ski cure before cutting the flashing makes a difference in the life of the blade. When I first started ski building I'd cut the flashing off right away, or the next day. The blade would heat up and then get gummed up from the epoxy. Letting the epoxy cure for say 5 days or so, you get less gumming and dulling of the blade.

But if you're using heat when you press that will cure the epoxy faster so maybe you don't need to wait 5 days.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I like a more aggressive tooth jig saw blade. I use 6tpi blade by bosh and or dewalt. I still only get about 1 pair per blade though. Cutting slowly and not forcing ghd blade will keep it a bit cooler. I've though about using a water sprayer to keep things cooler also but have not tried yet.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

I have the most success using Bosch T101BF blades in my jig saw. I can usually trim out a complete pair of skis with just one such blade, well sometimes one and a half blades. ;)
These are 10 TPI, "progressive", Bi-metal blades.

I've tried others, including T101B and could only make it about 6 inches into a cut before the thing was shot. Go figure.

-S
COsurfer

Post by COsurfer »

I usually get 4-5 boards out of one band saw blade. I have a 12" craftsman bandsaw and buy the Sears blades($20). I find the 1/4" width works best for me. The blade dulls every board but I just go slower and it works well.
powderho

Post by powderho »

SHIF wrote:I have the most success using Bosch T101BF blades in my jig saw. I can usually trim out a complete pair of skis with just one such blade, well sometimes one and a half blades. ;)
These are 10 TPI, "progressive", Bi-metal blades.

I've tried others, including T101B and could only make it about 6 inches into a cut before the thing was shot. Go figure.

-S
This is the blade I use as well. There is a reason it's almost twice the price of every other blade at Home Depot. It's the only one recommended for "hard wood". I can cut out 3 skis (maple sidewall) per blade. It doesn't work that great for p-tex sidewalls though.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I'm going to experiment a little with cutting speed also. I was thinking that cutting with a slower speed might also prolong my blades...

Has anyone with a variable speed jig saw tried playing around with this?
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Vinman wrote:I'm going to experiment a little with cutting speed also. I was thinking that cutting with a slower speed might also prolong my blades...

Has anyone with a variable speed jig saw tried playing around with this?
I have a variable speed jig saw and I cut at a medium speed letting the blade do the work. If I see it's starting to heat up I'll stop, otherwise the blade will gum up and get dull.
ggardner90

Post by ggardner90 »

just got a bi metal 80in blade for band saw after dulling a couple cheap ones. i have my saw on the slaw speed it seems to help. only done one ski on it so far but it still feels real sharp. i was on the phone with MSC and they said that for the material a blade between 6-10tpi was the sweet spot and to run it slow. i got a 10tpi if this one dulls quick ill try 8 or 6 tpi.

this is a great thread blades are becoming a real cost per ski now, i want to figure this out
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I'll say this once more, I learned it from Lindsay at SBM. A 10/14 tooth bi-metal blade (when the 14's wear out the 10's pick up) is the bomb <drops mic>.
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".
strangesnowboarding

Post by strangesnowboarding »

B
i was fed up with the cheap ones, the local woodshop recommended abrasive blades, i was about to purchase this online. do you have any experience with the one at the bottom of the page? siimogrit? it says fiberglass and rubber (we have glass and plastic, polyurethane, wood whatever). our layups can include carbon and are more similar to tires than wood. i need to get better saw life. a bigger saw is sure to help as well.
(bottom of the page)
http://bandsawblade.com/simondscarbide.htm
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

I have no experience with those, but it looks chewy! All I can say is what I know works, I have 15 CF boards on just this one 1/4" and it's not even close to giving up. These guys will make any size you want, 10-14tpi is at the top. Drill it down. http://www.toolcenter.com/diemaster.html. I hope you're havin' an awesome winter Tom! :D
"86% of the time it works 100% of the time".