inserts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

ben_mtl

inserts

Post by ben_mtl »

Hi all,

Quick question about binding inserts.
I'm about to start a new ski and would like to be able to mount either my Dukes on them or my Dynafit bindings. The ski will be used mainly with Dynafit for BC skiing but I'm gonna use them for at least week in a resort, thus the Dukes.
I've used inserts on almost all my skis but it's usually just for 1 pair of ski at one position… If I put inserts for both Dukes and Dynafit I almost double the number of inserts per ski.
Does anyone already done that ? What do you think about it, will it weaken the ski too much ?

Thanks !

EDIT : I quckly measured from some paper templates and I would have about 17 or 18mm center-to-center on some of the toe inserts. That's where I'm worried about all that. The foremost inserts would be like that :

Code: Select all

O -18mm- O -18mm O
|                |
18mm           18mm
|                |
O                O
The "O" are the inserts...

I have to measure my inserts outside diameter so I know how much wood will be left between them..
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
Idris

Post by Idris »

I would put in the inserts myself - but if you are worried then consider these

http://bindingfreedom.com/Plates_c2.htm

Never needed any myself, but heavier friends love them.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

actually I wasn't very worried initially, I searched on the internet for the paper templates and I found a couple topics on TGR debating about having too much insert in one ski.. and that made me think about it, especially as for the toe bindings I will have 3 inserts aligned across the ski.
In my opinion if the holes in the woodcore are plugged (with inserts in that case) it's not a matter anymore.
For me the woodcore is just the spacer in a sandwich consctruction, even though there are lots of inserts, the lower skin (base + lower triax) is unchanged and I usually double the top layer of fiberglass in the bindings area, I could still add a few carbon strings in the "swiss cheeze" area but I don't believe it's necessary.

As for the bindingfreedom plates, It's a great product and I thought about it too... but I'm not sure I want to spend 120$ on them now (I just booked my plane for a trip early january... that's what I make the skis for) and I'm concerned about the 7mm added height...

What I coud do is put all the insert but only "open" the ones I'll be using with my Dynafit bindings, leaving the top skin undamaged.
If I see I need to mount the Dukes I'll just have to drill the topsheet to "open" the remaining inserts...
...Or I can just install Dynafits and ski them even at the resort ! :p
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...